Top Pictures From This Morning

Pussy hats are everywhere. Waiting to pounce.

11 Responses to Top Pictures From This Morning

1. R Shearer says:

I saw a pelican on my ride this morning. Amazing birds. Their beaks can hold more Thant their bellies can.

• R Shearer says:

“than”

• RAH says:

Pelicans always make me think of Pterodactyls. Which brings up a question. Did anyone else here grow up as a kid using the term terradactyle as the generic for flying dinosaurs that did not have feathers?

When I was a kid playing with gray plastic triceratops, stegosaurs, duckbills, T-Rex, and what we called Brontosaurus, that is what we called them. Now they are Pterodactyls or Pterosaurs. Of course back then all dinosaurs were depicted as gray. Live and learn.

• gator69 says:

I am fortuntae enough to see the pelican migration twice per year. For such awkward looking birds, they are among the most graceful flyers. And when they fly just above the surace of the water, they remind me of the old Sikorsky S-42 Clipper, that Pan Am used in the 1930’s. My paternal grandmother was a stewardess on one back when they had wicker seats, in which you could get wet if it rained.

• Geoff Brown says:

I had a friend who was bombed by a pelican dropping his lunch through his cloaca. He was flattened. Obviously the pelican’s beak held more than it’s belly could.

2. Donna K. Becker says:

Yes, kitties just waiting to pounce! My boy Sterling apparently was dive-bombed by a bird Saturday-before-last. Although he wasn’t injured, he was afraid to come out into the open to return home. I believe he now has a case of feline PTSD, based upon his new proclivity of jumping (somehow) onto 6′-7′ tall cabinets and scanning the ceiling for threats.

His entire view of the universe was upended. Previously, I’m sure he believed that birds = prey, me = predator.

• RAH says:

One of the neighbors barn cats comes over and stalks around my feeder or seed blocks. He thinks my bird feeders are cat feeders. My inside cat always lets me know when he’s there and I run him off. Mocking birds show no fear when a cat is around.

• AndyG55 says:

Once had a cat.

Threw the remains of a cooked chook out once, 10 minutes later, a plaintiff meowing..

2 magpies were having a go at the chicken , and the cat couldn’t get near it.

So funny to watch. I shooed them away eventually :-)

3. Figaro says:

Today’s new bird, a female of Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus), second and third from bottom, as was the first pic from Nikon Pix post. The reddish shoulder patches are more prominent today and ease identification. If possible Tony, I would like to know the zoom level and approximate distance the pic was taken. The EXIF data fields from the picture are empty, being a screenshot. Thanks for sharing these little wonders with us.

• RAH says:

The color pattern on the Red-winged Blackbirds Tony’s pictures show are somewhat different from those I have here at my feeders in Central Indiana. Around here seeing Red-winged Blackbirds is a sign your outside the city and out among the farm fields. Unlike the common blackbirds which one see’s in town strutting around the parking lots of fast food joints looking for a stray french fry.