The Day The Music Died

Sixty years ago today, Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and The Big Bopper (J. P. Richardson) were killed in a plane crash at Mason City, Iowa.  They chartered the plane because Buddy Holly was tired of sitting on a freezing cold bus. Waylon Jennings was supposed to be on the flight, but got bumped off by The Big Bopper. The last conversation between Buddy Holly and Waylon Jennings was :

Buddy : I hope you freeze your ass off on the bus
Waylon : Well, I hope your ol’ plane crashes

03 Feb 1959, Page 1 – The La Crosse Tribune at Newspapers.com

Sixty years ago today was the first day Virginia allowed black children to attend school with white children. And sixty years later they still have a racist Democratic governor.

03 Feb 1959, Page 1 – Clarion-Ledger at Newspapers.com

A few hours after Buddy Holly’s crash, an airliner crashed in the East River, killing 65 people.

04 Feb 1959, Page 1 – The Des Moines Register at Newspapers.com

10 Responses to The Day The Music Died

1. GeologyJim says:

Note the Des Moines Register front page also reported freezing conditions in Chicago the night before, with a photo of an ice-encrusted fire truck

Hmmm – – some things never change.

Winter is still Winter in the midwest

2. JCalvertN(UK) says:

Here, in a sad case that has some parallels with the Buddy Holly crash, we now have news that the wreckage of the light plane charted by (or on behalf of) the Argentinian footballer Emiliano Sala has been found on the bottom of the English Channel.

• rah says:

And so he joins what was the equivalent of a Rockstar of his time in Glenn Miller and so many other pilots, crew, and passengers, from so many different countries that were lost in Channel during WW II.

3. Bob Hoye says:

“Chantilly Lace”
    “This is the Big Bopper and you know what I like.”

4. R Shearer says:

Plane crashes today are more extreme due to global warming.

5. Johansen says:

Wow, 8+ minutes with just an acoustic guitar… no drums, bass, keys, etc. That takes a bit of songwriting talent

6. raygun says:

I had just arrived in Lubbock from 4 years in the US Navy. My young gorgeous wife, young 1 year old son and I had just settled in a compact apt. across from Texas Tech Univ. when we heard the bad news on TV. Since then every so often when I visit relatives in Abernathy, we go visit the Buddy Holly museum.

7. Weylan McAnally says:

People often believe I was named after Waylon Jennings. That is not the case, but it is a conversation starter

8. AndyDC says:

What an awful day. What a loss to music and the world. Why a first rate superstar like Buddy Holly had to go touring in the middle of nowhere in the dead of winter is beyond me. Shows you how much the world has changed. I guess he was robbed blind by his “handlers”.