Located The Missing Heat

“The fact is that we can’t account for the lack of warming at the moment and it is a travesty that we can’t.”

• Kevin Trenberth – NCAR

I saw a Golden Eagle near NCAR today – the first one I have ever seen in the wild. There are less than 20,000 remaining in the US.

Climate experts believe that we need to build wind farms to stop all this excess heat, and that decimation of the raptor population is necessary collateral damage.

UNACCEPTABLE NUMBERS OF BIRDS OF PREY ARE KILLED AT WIND TURBINES

Wind turbines at Altamont Pass kill an estimated 880 to 1,300 birds of prey each year, including up to 116 golden eagles, 300 red-tailed hawks, 380 burrowing owls, and additional hundreds of other raptors including kestrels, falcons, vultures, and other owl species.

These astronomical levels of raptor mortality continue unabated, due in part to the failure of federal and state wildlife protection agencies to take any regulatory action.

Microsoft Word – Altamont fact sheet 3.doc

But we need to stop all this global warming. Think of the animals.

8 Responses to Located The Missing Heat

1. GeologyJim says:

Raptors are just “a mass of cells” not worthy of any special protections

Wind Turbines must be Constitutionally guaranteed the right to spin freely. When Wind Turbines are not allowed the free choice to spin, Wind Turbines suffer.

“I’m Free Wind Power, and I Vote”

/sarc (as if needed)

2. scott allen says:

If these wind companies were oil companies they would have the CEO’s facing federal prosecution for the mass killing of wildlife including the endangered species, but they are wind companies so they get a pass.

3. DM says:

Tony, to see more golden eagles go to Denali National Park. You will see more snow, too:-)

If you like bald eagles as well, go to the Kenai dump. Dozens & dozens hang out there.

Great photos. Many thanks.

• MGJ says:

I used to spend quite a bit of time in the Scottish highlands and I quite often spotted Golden Eagles, as they are somewhat easy to see over a wide area and easy to identify. I wonder whether that is still the case after all this environmental Progress.

4. Bruce of Newcastle says:

Hah! Yesterday afternoon I was on bicycle around the shore of Lake Macquarie, where there is a nice shared path. An osprey landed on the shore of the lake about 5-6m from me. So I stopped! She looked at me cautiously and I looked at her, until she took off with a grab-load of dry sea grass in her talons. She circled around and landed neatly at the top of the nearby Norfolk Island pine where her nest is. Looks like she aims to get an early start when winter is over.

5. Psalmon says:

The GFS model has snow piling up in the Sierras and Rockies thru Memorial Day…

The storm hitting No CA is on it’s way to Colorado for the weekend….

Incidentally, the MJO is in phase 8 headed into 1 and 2, which are typically Cold West, Warm East phases…When it flips hopefully the Summer runoff is huge.

6. MrGrimnasty says:

The case for a windfarm on Crete estmates that there are about 1000 Griffon vultures and 84 will be killed per year – but they hope to mitigate it somewhat somehow, so that’s OK.

And yet Europe still needs Putin’s new gas pipeline?

7. BobW in NC says:

Tony, your photos are simply outstanding! Never expected to find Herons in CO! Here is a companion article on the plague of wind turbine power. Not one more should be built, or AOC should be forced to live under one and get 100% of her power from it. https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/05/22/costly-wind-power-menaces-man-and-nature/