The February Blizzard Of 1958

I’m visiting friends at the Finger Lakes in NY, where my life started. One of them grew up on a farm there in the 1950s and told me about a terrible blizzard in February, 1958 which cut them off for weeks and forced them to dump all of the milk they were producing -because there was no way to get to market. So I did some research and found out that Ithaca never made it above 20F from February 10-21, 1958.

Stillwater Reservoir, New York never made it above -11F on February 18.

TimesMachine: February 11, 1958 – NYTimes.com

Florida’s vegetable crop was wiped out by the cold.

TimesMachine: February 8, 1958 – NYTimes.com

And the National Academy of Sciences said they could control the weather if you sent them money. They called for the creation of a National Center for Atmospheric Research, which now exists in Boulder, gets 180 million dollars in taxpayer money per year, and generates many wildly fraudulent claims about the climate – which I will be discussing more soon.

TimesMachine: February 9, 1958 – NYTimes.com

14 Responses to The February Blizzard Of 1958

1. Paul in Longmont says:

Title on first graph seems incorrect, should read Feb 10-21, 1958. Also dates (x-axis) in both graphs seem incorrect:
    {1958.11, 1958.11, 1958.12, 1958.12, 1958.12, 1958.12, 1958.13, 1958.13, 1958.13, 1958.14, 1958.14} (repeated values) and
    {1958.06, *, 1958.08, 1958.09, 1958.1, 1958.11, *, 1958.13, 1958.14, 1958.15, 1958.16, 1958.17, *, 1958.19} (* = missing values). Maybe second graph title should give the range of dates in February, since not the entire month.

2. nejking says:

What’s up with the dates on the graphs’ x-axises? I can’t make heads or tails of what’s going on with that. Are these time of day measurements?

3. Dan M. says:

Steve,
    Nice picture at Taughannock Falls. I go there often. Walk up the gorge for a river level view of the falls. If the water level is sufficiently low at the end of the summer, you can walk to the falls in the river at ankle to knee depth. The Finger Lakes is the “Undiscovered Country”, a beautiful area of farms over rolling hills, wineries, and, of course, beautiful lakes, gorges, and waterfalls. It’s also a major north-south migratory route for birds in the Spring and Fall. Lots of waterfowl and birds of prey – ducks, herons, kingfishers, osprey and the occasional bald eagle.

4. John F. Hultquist says:

NYT – 2/9/1958
    First Steps to Weather Control

“… three recent developments that have increased the probability of weather control …”

61 years later the probability of “weather control” is still . . . ???

5. arn says:

“I”m a scientist”

“What”s your job?”

“Developing schemes to get taxpayers money and make my useless job
    appear indespensable.”

6. Brodirt says:

Fools continue to be born and scientists continue to capture the politicians who tap the fools’ pockets.

7. Robertv says:

During the last 100,000 years most of the time it would even have been much colder in winter.
    If CO2 really is Earth’s thermostat what would we do when it reaches Ice age levels ?

8. Thomas Carey says:

What’s this about ‘The February Blizzard Of 1936’. Everything mentioned is 1958.
    Provo Utah was freezing at around -35 in the mid-thirds.

Might also mentioned temps around -40 in/around Sioux City, IA in 1962, and -35 in Leavenworth, KS 1985

9. John of Cloverdale, WA, Australia says:

Great photo of you Tony. You make me feel guilty about my fitness.

10. Bob Tisdale says:

Curiously, Tony, I was in upstate New York a couple of days ago, too, visiting friends. Mine are in a small town near the Hudson, with breathtaking views.

On the drive to and from, while away from cities, I was reminded just how magnificently beautiful the Earth is. Green trees on mountains and valleys everywhere, with some gold-colored fields and blue waters thrown in occasionally for contrast. No vista-destroying wind turbines or solar collectors anywhere. Just Mother Nature at her best, with the view split by the interstate highway.

That brought the thought that those who believe the Earth is dying must be from cities, because no one in their right minds could look at the Earth that I drove through and visited and believe all this climate crisis nonsense.

That initiated another thought that someone needs to take a survey of climate crisis beliefs and divide the responses into urban versus rural dwellers.

Regards,
    Bob

11. Karim Bensalah says:

Good Day Tony,
    I truly enjoy your climate data and YouTube videos they are always on point and relevant. Here in Edmonton Alberta Canada we had one of the coldest winters in decades going back to the 1930’s. February 2019 was -10C colder than normal… I think we averaged close to-20C