The End Is Near

It has been ten years since the Sydney Morning Herald announced the end of the world.

The end of the world as we know it

8 Responses to The End Is Near

1. arn says:

The Carl Zimmer-guy was 100% right,for the wrong reasons.

The world as we know has already been ended thanks to AGW prop,
    Corona tyranny,some billionaires and their do minion voting machines.
    The mass extinction will then follow as result of an artificial destruction of energy supply and production and freezing to death during winter.

2. G W Smith says:

The only thing that will save humanity is suicided.

3. Robert Rust says:

Hollywood killed humanity’s star

4. Brad Row says:

When I see prophecies like this I am always reminded of what was said in my old social psychology textbook:

“Other prophets of doom, completely out of touch with reality, apparently suffer little dissonance when their expectancies are disconfirmed. Thomas Beverly, rector of Lilley, in Hertfordshire England in the late 17th century was totally immune to cognitive dissonance. In 1695 he wrote a book predicting that the world would end in 1697. In 1698 he wrote a second book complaining that the world had ended in 1697 but that nobody had noticed.”

I expect that at some stage in the not too distant future one of The Sydney Morning Herald’s prophets cum opinion writers will be complaining, like the good rector of Lilley, that the “world has we know it” has ended but nobody noticed.

5. Ed Price says:

Article well written – however it was from The New York Times.
    Does TNYT have an agenda? Have a guess.
    They are able to label black is white and vice-versa in the same article.

6. czechlist says:

It’s the end of the world as we know it (and I feel fine). REM 1991
    One of my earliest memories is my grandmother lamenting the travails of the 50s current events and hearing “I feel sorry for your generation…”

7. Conrad Ziefle says:

When you think about it, the world I was born into ended slowly without me noticing it, but looking back I do miss it. Part of the problem was that I had to grow up and learn to care for myself. So I was told, but looking around, I see that was a lie. There are a lot of child adults these days, who spend their time screaming about this and that fantasy. They all seem healthy, well fed, and clothed. I guess those of my generation did too good of a job creating the necessary systems, thereby alleviating the current youths need to learn rational thinking and to focus on contributing to society.
    I kind of miss the good ol’ days when a person was honored for what he contributed to society, rather than was condemned for having a pimple on his neck.

8. Bob in Castlemaine says:

My recollection is that the Melbourne butterfly study was flawed from the start. It was centered near Laverton, only 17 km from the Melbourne CBD, which even at that time had already been significantly effected by UHI due to suburban growth. In fact not long after then the status of the BOM Laverton weather site, which had been known as a High Quality Rural Site, lost its Rural status.