1970’s Musicians As Medical Authorities

“Well, I hope Neil Young will remember a southern man don’t need him around anyhow”

• Lynyrd Skynyrd   “Sweet Home Alabama”  1974

Joni Mitchell Joining Neil Young in Protest Over Spotify | Newsmax.com

19 Responses to 1970’s Musicians As Medical Authorities

1. Trevor Boyce says:

I am so thankful that we have these altruistic authorities who are willing to sacrifice themselves to protect US from facts and opinions that upset THEM. But how will we survive without their music to keep us company in our isolation?

2. Reid says:

As I read between the lines I see some classical rock stars who are upset that they are not making much money from music streaming services. I have read that streaming service royalties are 1 cent per 100 plays. Not much money unless you have a hit with the youth who are the main users of streaming services. Kneel Young and Joni Mitchell are probably getting tens of dollars a month in royalties. Nils Lofgreen probably isn’t receiving enough for a Starbucks latte. I see a bunch of old rockers who are not relavant and unknown by the music buying youth looking for a last gasp at relavance.

3. Scott Allen says:

I remember when these two were anti-authoritarians.
    Joni ‘paved paridice put up a parking lot.”
    or when Neil went on his ‘Freedom of Speech” tour.

4. Mac says:

Sad to see Joni Mitchell hitching her wagon to a guy like Neil Young, who has always been sort of a pugnacious, sanctimonious, and dishonest guy. Let’s not forget that Neil Young went on Stephen Colbert’s lousy and unfunny show a few years ago, and Neil spent the entire segment spreading ridiculous New Age conspiracy nonsense about GMO foods. He basically portrayed GMO foods as being poisonous and dangerous, which is absolute non-scientific nonsense, and, at one point, he joked that Stephen Colbert should not even touch genetically modified corn. Meanwhile, as anyone who knows about science understands, GMO foods are totally harmless and cause no harm whatsoever to humans. So, for high school graduate Neil Young to cry about “misinformation” while taking issue with Dr. Robert Malone’s learned opinion about mRNA vaccines, is really pretty ridiculous and entertaining. As for Joni Mitchell, I thought she was more sensible that that. Sorry to say, she isn’t.

• Vegieman says:

Against genetically modified food but in support of genetically modified people.

• Timo, Not That One says:

Exactly Vegieman. These former Hippies are now supporting multinational mega businesses AKA “The Man”, and have abandoned the little guy, who just wants to be left alone with his natural immune system (the one Gaia gave him).

• Walt Lafford says:

Too much POT likely had a lot to do with this kind of thinking or not thinking.

• Wesley S. Hamel Jr. says:

A few years ago Joni said Bob Dylan was not very creative.

5. Charles Straw says:

Pulling their own music will not hurt Young or Mitchell….Young has a steady fan base that he sucks money out of, releasing “archive” albums constantly and repackaging old music for older cash-heavy fans…Mitchell I’m sure is loaded

Classic rock music generally is on its last financial legs…long time fans are dead or near death, and acts need to capitalize on that money stream before all or most fans are in rock and roll heaven

• Matt Kiro says:

I believe most of the older ones are just selling their whole catalogs to Sony or Apple or whoever for millions. Much easier than touring smaller venues.

6. mddwave says:

I wonder if Neil Young feels the same about Eric Clapton.

7. Disillusioned says:

Large, peer-reviewed research study proves ivermectin works
    Regular use of ivermectin as a prophylactic was associated with significantly reduced COVID-19 infection, hospitalization and mortality rates.

I have had mixed results. I use it as a prophylactic; have been healthy and haven’t gotten a cold, or worse. But, it didn’t stop her from becoming pregnant…

Oh, wait…

8. Tel says:

If this starts to get dirty, then Spotify could come back by publishing the record of how many times listeners hit the “skip to the next song” button on Neil Young and Joni Mitchell.

In other news, I saw that Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are also removing their music from Spotify … the platform just keeps getting more and more attractive.

9. David Longo says:

Wasn’t Neil Young the guy who had some issues with grocery stores or something, back at the beginning of AIDS? As Bugs Bunny might say, “What a maroon!”

10. arn says:

Neil Young?Isn’t that the guy who left his wife after she got cancer and replaced her with a Hollywood actress?

After I got fed up with mainstream music and my English reached a level of understanding the crappy lyrics as teenager i searched for alternatives to save my brain,
    and i found them in rock music,except alternative rock :)

As this was in the pre streaming era i had to buy in a hit and hope manner.Buying by names and album covers.
    I was lucky ,as I started with Zep and Floyd
    and the only time I was really disappointed was with Neil Young.
    I was promised some rock music ,what i got was some pop music for lonely,fat
    teenage girls (Heart of gold – forgot the name of the album).
    and a guy with a voice like Kermit while being run over by a car .
    A complete waste of time and money.
    (Even the only of his songs i like is a cover version – like a hurricane/the mission )

So no loss for noone,as long as he cancels himself and is not being cancelled by Spotify.

But my struggle with Neils crap didn’t end there.
    Last year my sister bought me as birthday present a Neil Young Biography
    “A hippie dream”.
    As I neither like Neil nor Hippies (I didn’t even knew he was a hippie until then,otherwise i wouldn’t have bought a thing from Neil)
    I guess my sister was mocking me in a stealth way.
    Anyways:Once again Neil Young didn’t disappoint in disappointing me.
    The Bio is the worst biography i read by a landmile (I’m still struggling to finish it)
    as it has no chronlogical structure.
    Almost every 1 or 2 pages he jumps from present,
    to 60ies to 80ies,to cars,ships etc.
    It is impossible to keep up or remember all the mixed up names,events and stuff if you are not already a Neil Young as he simply wrote down whatever crossed his mind , and it was released that way.
    Neil found the laziest way to make money = indeed a hippie dream.

The most interesting thing in the book btw is the “Reagan” chapter,
    as he,unknowingly,became the target of woke journalism.
    He was asked by 2 AP journalists about Reagan
    and he gave no negative reply as he didn’t knew much about Reagan
    and was bashed the next days by the AP an intolerant,conservative,capitalism loving Reagan fan ( So this kind of systematic attacks and indoctrinations already existed 4 decades ago ).