The Gentleman Snake

More pictures from this morning.

The nice thing about Rattlesnakes is they let you know they are there, and that they aren’t happy about it.

20 Responses to The Gentleman Snake

1. RAH says:

Sure that’s not a Bull Snake? The color scheme matches. They make a rattling sound with their tail that mimics the rattle of a rattlesnake.

• annieoakley says:

I was wondering the same. I looked up ratters a while ago because I have bull snakes in my yard and a couple of dogs. Rattler should have a bigger, more triangle shaped head. Bull snakes do bite and the bites get infected.

• Louis Hooffstetter says:

Definitely not a rattlesnake. Check out his eyes. Pit vipers (including rattlesnakes) have cat pupils. Non-venemous snakes in North America have round pupils.

• Robertv says:

From the article above

‘Dogs are curious and snakes are defensive—a bad combination. Unfortunately, a snake isn’t going to take the time to determine if that large, canine nose headed in their direction is a curious domestic dog or a wild coyote or fox that is searching for a snake dinner. On hiking trips, you should keep dogs on a short leash.’

2. Pathway says:

Had to put the breaks on yesterday to keep from stepping on one while out fishing. Bull snakes are constrictors.

3. NavarreAggie says:

I’m pretty sure that that is not a rattlesnake, Tony.

4. Peta says:

Much like climate change promoters..

5. Rud Istvan says:

Bull snake defense mechanisms mimic western diamondback rattlesnakes. They assume the strike position, produce a hissing ‘rattle’ from their epiglottus, and shake their tail in grass to complete the illusion. Then try like heck to get away. Was fun reading about them.

6. Nicholas Schroeder says:

From the nose wedge I’d go for bull snake and their hiss can sound like a rattle buzz. But you were there. Did you collect the rattle?

• tonyheller says:

It was making a very loud rattle. I’m half deaf and could hear it from 50 feet away.

• AndyG55 says:

On a previous post, you have a pic of it on the road.

Any sign of the rattler on its tail.. my old eyes can’t see it.

• Brad says:

That is a bull snake. They will shake there tails to resemble a rattle snake. They can be up to 6 feet long. I once watched a Mamma rabbit take on one of these things as it squeezed one of her babies. It was quite remarkable.

7. Brazilian jararacas, in a different venom class from rattlers, move into old armadillo holes. Their response to being importuned by teenagers with sticks is a tail slapping against the side of the burrow. This is nothing like the buzzing of a real rattler but more like the Hollywood sound effect injected like so many other errors of fact into movies.

8. ChileMike says:

Looks more like a government climate scientist than a rattlesnake, Tony. They always coil up like that when you catch them adjusting temperature data. You should have captured it and milked the grant money out of it.

9. Dan Sheldon says:

Hi Tony …I’m a huge fan from Fort Lupton. I read your site every day along with many others trying to be well informed. Your efforts are greatly appreciated… by the way 100% that is a bullsnake…I have lots of them on my road and driveway every year and catch many to return to my farm for improved rodent control. One last year was held by my daughter who is 5 ft 3 with its head above hers and the tail touching the ground…absolutely wonderful animals

10. RAH says:

Bull snakes and Hog nose snakes are great mimics. Takes some looking to determine a hog nose snake is not a water moccasin.

• cdquarles says:

Yep. Head, more triangular; eyes, slitted pupils not round; mouth, fang/teeth length/size, placement and coloration. All of the moccasins I’ve seen were near or in water. The same with coral snakes. I got close, but not too close to one when fishing in my youth. I’ve seen moccasins get in boats. I don’t recall hog-nosed or dark colored bull snakes doing that; but I guess they could.