Top Bird Pix This Morning

The hawks finally emerged from the nest after spending three days protecting the eggs from the snow and cold.

7 Responses to Top Bird Pix This Morning

1. RAH says:

Third pic down is a European Starling. We have lots of them around here especially during the warmer months. They squabble more than any other of the many species of birds we have around here. Even more than the black birds. Every year a few of them hang around while most migrate. I see them year around at my feeder and seed blocks. During the spring their bills turn bright yellow and their white spots turn an iridescent purple. During the fall their bills start to darken when they start to form large squabbling flocks that will fill four of five large trees sometimes. I don’t know, but I suspect that this species is probably the most successful of any of the several that have been introduced to N. America by man.

• Figaro says:

Right on all counts. It has become a pest in Europe, with flocks numbering hundreds of thousands. Google images by “starling flock”, for a taste.

• RAH says:

Figaro

Years ago when AOL had message boards there was a hard core liberal female that used that handle on the This & That Too board that I posted on.

• Michael Crouch says:

Frames 5 and 6 appears to be to be a female cowbird. Frame 6 is a nice detailed shot. At least that is what my East Coast oriented eye sees! ;-)

• Steve Case says:

Third one down looks like there’s a reflection of or it’s draped with the US flag.

2. Stewart Pid says:

Is a ducks ass watertight?
    Griff you are a specialist on asses … or at least being an ass … do u know the answer?

• Figaro says:

I’m not Griff, but a duck’s ass really is watertight. Uropygial gland (preen gland) comes to mind ;-)