The Beauty Of Socialism – 95% Income Tax

Harold Wilson coming out of 10 Downing Street in 1969.

Edward Heath going in the following year.

The Beatles singing about the 95% tax rate they paid under Wilson and Heath.

Let me tell you how it will be
There’s one for you, nineteen for me
‘Cause I’m the taxman, yeah, I’m the taxman
Should five per cent appear too small
Be thankful I don’t take it all
‘Cause I’m the taxman, yeah, I’m the taxman
If you drive a car, I’ll tax the street
If you try to sit, I’ll tax your seat
If you get too cold I’ll tax the heat
If you take a walk, I’ll tax your feet

13 Responses to The Beauty Of Socialism – 95% Income Tax

1. NavarreAggie says:

I’ve always been portion to the SRV rendition :)

2. Gummans Gubbe says:

I saw a nice example from “Learn Liberty”. Louis Mayer (one of the M’s in MGM) recieved a $2 million payment from the film studio. 91% tax? No thanks. He contacted a politician and had it written into the tax code that he did not have to pay tax for that amount.

US tax code were 11000 pages. 10998 were exempts.

• Robertv says:

Every direct tax is to control the individual person. Liberty and direct taxation can’t coexist because it will always create Big Brother Government.

3. Robertv says:

Bicycle tax

The Dutch had to pay three guilders per year at the post office between 1924 and 1941. In return, a copper plate with the current tax year was given that they attached to the bike.
    The tax was abolished by the Nazis .

4. Douglas Hoyt says:

Socialism rewards the lazy and dishonest people and punishes the energetic and honest people.

5. Colin says:

So we don’t tax the richest folks like Bezos who “earn” thousand per second and ferret the cash away. But quite happy to crush the poor. Perhaps the 95% tax rate was less of a bad idea in terms of re-distribution of wealth. Oh but wait, if you are poor you don’t deserve anything like a life. My bad.

6. Florence says:

Wellcome to denmark. The government calls it “democratic socialism” but there’s not much democracy in it. We’re taxed on EVERYTHING. And the people who are between jobs are hunted down and forced to work at invented, meaningless jobs.