Historic Year In Wyoming

I moved to Cheyenne, Wyoming eleven months ago, and we have had historic weather.

I filmed these snow videos on June 8-10 west of Cheyenne.

Then we had the most persistently warm (and shortest) summer on record in Cheyenne, with 33 days above 90F, breaking the previous record of 32. Average is ten days above 90F.

The maximum temperature of 32F (0C) on September 8, 2020 was the coldest afternoon on record that early in autumn.

I took this picture on September 9, west of Cheyenne.

Cheyenne broke the record for a one day drop in maximum temperature when temperatures dropped from 86F to 32F between September 7 and September 8.

The maximum temperature of 11F on October 25, 2020 was the coldest on record that early in the autumn, and tied the record for October cold set on October 30, 1991.

The maximum temperature of -7F recorded on Valentines Day 2021 was the coldest maximum temperature on record that late in winter.

And now we are facing an historic blizzard, with 30 inches of snow on the ground and high winds.

I was speaking with a neighbor yesterday who lived through the 1949 blizzard.  She told me we don’t get winters like that any more, but she may end up changing her mind.

8 Responses to Historic Year In Wyoming

1. Matt Dzialak says:

Here in Valley, Wyoming – southwest of Cody – we had 18 inches of snow last September 8. It was an extremely dry and somewhat warm December and January. According to my weather station here on DDX Ranch, February’s persistent deep cold was notable historically.

Fingers crossed for a calm, warm spring, but the snowfall outside my window might suggest otherwise.

Cheers and stay warm,
    Matt

2. thurman Zhou says:

A few years ago in NJ we had the rock hard snow. It was impossible to shovel. It also didn’t melt like ordinary snow. It lasted well after it became warm. We only had about 3 inches of it. I had never seen snow like that. I can’t imagine feet of it.

3. Leonard+Harris says:

With the present inter glacial nearing its end this may simply be a portend of much worse to come.

4. arn says:

Tony.
    I remember a movie i watched as a child
    about how bowl skating was invented.
    It was an old movie(or documentary?) from the 70ies about some children using empty swimming pools in california
    And the pools were empty because of a draught(during the ice age scare) if i remember correctly.

Not that i’m surprised that draughts are a common thing in a desert state.

5. Robert L Gipson says:

It’s perhaps timely to recall that myopic, delusional Don Quixote saw windmills as “giants.”

6. oeman 50 says:

It must be the Heller effect.

7. Joe in Wyo says:

Uggh… stay safe everybody in Cheyenne…. my office is there but I think I’ll just stay here in Centennial and watch it snow this weekend… I hope we get 3’ but without the winds… that could be ugly over there….. good luck.

8. Loren says:

Can you imagine the field day the alarmists would have with a catastrophic even like this today? It would be a wall-to-wall climate change propaganda fest on CNN/MessNBC/etc.!