“Countless Scientists”

“Countless scientists, climate experts, and governments officials agree that 350 ppm is the “safe” level of carbon dioxide.”

Why 350? – MN350

The last time CO2 was at the safe level of 350 PPM was 1988, when Yellowstone burned, the Mississippi River almost dried up, and Cancun was largely destroyed by the second most intense Atlantic Hurricane on record.

Yellowstone fires of 1988 – Wikipedia

1988–89 North American drought – Wikipedia

“Hurricane Gilbert, the mightiest storm to hit the Western Hemisphere in this century, concentrates so much of its destructive energy into a narrow core that meteorologists say the storm resembles a monster tornado.”

Meteorologists Say the Hurricane Is Similar to a Monster Tornado – The New York Times

Hurricane Gilbert – Wikipedia

Perhaps 350 PPM isn’t quite right? Maybe we need to get down to 320 PPM, which occurred in 1970.

“The 1970 Bhola cyclone was a devastating tropical cyclone that struck East Pakistan (present-day Bangladesh) and India’s West Bengal on November 11, 1970. It remains the deadliest tropical cyclone ever recorded and one of the world’s deadliest natural disasters. At least 500,000 people lost their lives in the storm”

1970 Bhola cyclone – Wikipedia

In 1974, fifteen percent of Australia burned.

Australian bushfires: Why 2019 fire season is different from others

Darwin was destroyed by Cyclone Tracy on Christmas Day 1974.

Northeast Australia turned into an inland sea due to record rainfall and flooding.

28 Jan 1974, Page 12 – The Cincinnati Enquirer at Newspapers.com

The US had its worst tornado outbreak on record.

List of tornadoes in the 1974 Super Outbreak – Wikipedia

Phoenix had their worst heatwave.

30 Jun 1974, Page 31 – Arizona Republic at Newspapers.com

And experts said we were headed into another ice age.

TIME Magazine Archive Article — Another Ice Age? — Jun. 24, 1974

29 Jan 1974, 5 – The Guardian at Newspapers.com

Hot weather was much more common when CO2 was below 350 PPM. But I lack the qualifications to dispute “Countless scientists, climate experts, and government officials

8 Responses to “Countless Scientists”

1. G W Smith says:

Every schoolboy knows that experts are always right.

2. spangled drongo says:

Brilliant observations, Tony. Yes, why is lower CO2 better than present?

The ’60s and ’70s in east coast Australia were disaster years climate wise and today is bliss in comparison.

King tides are actually LOWER now and of course those huge ocean storm surges that caused the river flooding to run backwards [upstream] causing even more severe flooding, don’t happen.

3. toorightmate says:

We know many scientists are now “countless” – which is the reason they have to homogenize statistics.
    Not me.
    I AM THE COUNT!
    I like to count – Ha Ha Ha Ha.

4. Colorado Wellington says:

Progressives from yonder People’s Republic of Boulder told me recently that the record drought and heat waves of the 1930s decade were caused by anthropogenic CO2. They got excitable when I replied that if so it must have been caused by CO2 levels that were too low.

• rah says:

Good to see you posting CW. Long time no see! I hope all is well with you. Still driving and though I missed 4 months with a health issue, I am now well and and been hard at it since March,

Will go out on a team run tonight and Randy and I will contribute more than our fair share of CO2 to the atmosphere over the next couple days. Anderson, IN to Vandalia, OH, to Dexter, MO to Paragould, AR, back to Dexter, MO and then back to Vandalia. Told we may do just one iteration or we may be doing that run for the rest of the week. They don’t know yet.

Anyway I have been doing more than my fair share of producing the life giving gas and I think it’s about time some others stop slacking. They won’t even confirm that I can have the 4th and 5th off as vacation days despite the fact I put in for those days over two weeks ago.

5. rah says:

350 ppm is getting far too close to the CO2 starvation level for plants. During the last great glaciation when atmospheric CO2 dropped to about 180 ppm, the Amazon rain forest shrunk to be about 10% of the size it’s present size. Though lack of precipitation no doubt was a factor, 180 ppm is well below the starvation level.

BTW for those that may have missed it the best brief and concise review of earths paleo-climate history I have ever seen has been posted at WUWT. I highly recommend it. https://wattsupwiththat.com/2021/06/26/a-global-context-for-man-made-climate-concerns/