Fifty Years Since The Demise Of The Great Barrier Reef

02 Dec 1971 – REEF MAY BE IMPOVERISHED FOR EVER’ – Trove

19 Nov 1971 – THE ODDS ARE AGAINST SURVIVAL – Trove

8 Responses to Fifty Years Since The Demise Of The Great Barrier Reef

1. GWS says:

It’s amazing how humans when encountering something new quickly seem to have it all figured out; then they have to modify and refine their “knowledge” with each succeeding year while always claiming to have it figured out, this time.

2. John+Sweeney says:

What’s the state of the reef these days?

• Graeme No.3 says:

Quite good. Small parts have some coral loss but that is always the case; I first heard of this in 1962 on a school trip. One of the hands on the boat said we wouldn’t be going to that part as “it had gone white”. When I asked why? He shrugged and said it happens, but it will be OK in a couple of years. (That was before we knew about the Crown of Thorns starfish.)
      There is an industry based around James Cook University which issues regular statements and prediction of the “reef being doomed”, usually just before government research grants are decided. I don’t know if the Peter Ridd case has got any publicity over there, but he (Prof. of Physics) was sacked for saying that much of the claims were not true. As a result of the Court cases which they “won” the University is now battling to regain credibility (several papers withdrawn and one PhD won’t be employed again- in Europe as well).

3. arn says:

So the great barrier reef was killed by global cooling before it got killed by global warming.

4. RLO says:

Tony, can I please ask how you get access to newspaper articles post 1954? Our Trove project which digistised all newspapers in Australia, started in the nineteenth century and got to 1954 when funding ceased.

For my research, I have trouble accessing stories after this date. However, I see you seem to have no trouble.

5. David G says:

The Great Barrier Reef is very healthy at the moment with coral at a 30 year high.
    It has recovered very well after a series of cyclones in recent years.
    The area that gets reported as “damaged” is usually off Shute Harbour which has a heavy traffic of tourist day-tripper boats (not surprisingly) and holiday islands, but this is a tiny part of a very large reef.
    I don’t hear about the crown of thorns starfish these days- I wonder where they went.
    David G (Queensland)