John Hinckley, Invasive Species And Hot Drinks

On March 31, 1981 Colorado’s John Hinckley walked up to President Reagan and tried to shoot him at point blank range. I remember that time very well for several reasons. My sister was Jodie Foster’s suitemate at Yale.  The experience was devastating for Jodie Foster and largely ruined her college experience.

The following week I took a canoe trip down the Green River in Utah with a friend from Santa Fe and a couple of her Mormon friends from Utah. Her friends were named John and Bern Hinckley. John was having a lot of trouble using his credit cards that week.

I was in the front of the canoe wearing shorts and a t-shirt when a storm blew in.  Cold waves were coming over the bow and I got cold very quickly, but we were unable to get to shore because of thick Salt Cedar growth along the banks. Salt Cedar was brought in from the Middle East for erosion control, and quickly became a complete mess.

Eventually we found a sand bar and were able to make a fire.  By that time I had hypothermia and the Mormons tried to cheer me up by singing hymns like “Coffee and tea have we none.” Mormons aren’t supposed to drink hot drinks.

8:59 AM · Jun 1, 2022

7 Responses to John Hinckley, Invasive Species And Hot Drinks

1. Gamecock says:

C’mon, man, he’s had “treatment.” What could go wrong?

2. The Dark Lord says:

soon to be another Covid death I’m sure …

3. arn says:

Happened at the same time Sussman was found not guilty
    by his own jury
    and a few weeks after they refused to file felony charges against the guy who attacked chappel (a potential megascandal that would have been turned by the deep state into a 3 month racism indoctrination marathon if the attacker with a knifegun would have been white )

And they really expect people to give up their guns in such an environment.

4. GeologyJim says:

Insanity can be part of an explanation, but should never be allowed as a criminal defense in a sane, moral society (yeah, I know – that’s a huge presumption these days!)

The proper verdict should be “undeniably guilty but mentally insane/sick”.

When did the “Not guilty by reason of insanity” fiction slither into our jurisprudence?

5. GWS says:

Guilt over common sense, again.

6. NavarreAggie says:

“The experience was devastating for Jodie Foster and largely ruined her college experience.”

I do have one question. Was Jodie Foster’s college experience ruined because of the attempted assassination for President Reagan or because your sister was her roommate? Inquiring minds want to know….

7. Russell Cook says:

If Ms Foster is smart, she’ll hire additional vigilant security protection.