Pulling Back The Curtain On Super Climate Sunday

[TH : I moved the links to a secure https address, as some people seemed to be picking up malware on the download. The executable itself is clean. The new approach is described below.]

I know that people are excited today about the big game between Real Madrid and Granada, but I have even more exciting news. Everyone now has the ability to do the same analysis of climate data which I have been doing. You can download it here. Download the PullingBackTheCurtain .zip file, unzip it, enter the PullingBackTheCurtain directory, and click on PullingBackTheCurtain.exe to run.

Screenshot 2016-02-07 at 12.03.53 PM

Windows Download

Current version is only for Windows.  It also runs on Mac and Linux, but I haven’t figured out how to distribute the executable for those platforms yet.

The current version is only for the US. A new version will be coming out shortly which will allow you to add whatever global stations you want.

The screen size and shape is designed to fit any PC, laptop or tablet screen.

I will be adding lots more features in future releases, but think you will find this version very useful. It is completely free, and free from any malware, spyware or anything else evil. The data is downloaded directly from NOAA, so you have to be connected to the Internet every time you want to get a new station. You can suck up a lot of disk space with these files, so there is a Disk Cleanup button.

When you save an image, it also copies the image to the clipboard – so you can paste it directly into a tweet or E-mail.

No big government, big oil, big tobacco or big coal funding goes into any of my efforts. It took years of development to get to this point, so if you feel inclined there is a donate button on the lower left. Please specify that your donation is a response to this software.

Everything is very intuitive, but if you have any questions I will either answer them or forward them to my dogs.

Time to go for a bike ride and then come back and watch the big match in Granada!

13 Responses to Pulling Back The Curtain On Super Climate Sunday

1. mat says:

Very cool program. But is the data NOAA altered, or the actual numbers?

2. George says:

Thank you but I need a Mac version.

3. ItsGettingHotinHereSo says:

Just downloaded the program. Worked perfectly.

In less than 60 seconds, I did the download and was producing multiple graphs.

Perfect!!!

4. I keep getting “Virus detected” error message when trying to download :(

5. Cool stuff! Worked fine.

Will you be providing a separate section for bug reports / suggestions? I have some small suggestions. Maybe a “features / bug report” link from the “About” dialog going to a specific post like https://realclimatescience.com/PullingBackTheCurtain/FeaturesBugs would be good.

My small suggestion is that the status text should change to “Ready” (on green background) when the plot is complete, then change to “Press Draw” (on red) when any selection has changed. Mine stays on “Plotting” (which could be yellow for wait). This also prevents someone from taking a screenshot of something that hasn’t updated yet, which could be a leftover plot of some other station. Any setting change will take away the “Ready” text so you know that it hasn’t plotted yet with the displayed settings. You could also wipe the graph on that event. A finished download / draw restores “Ready”.

Another more complicated one would be when the “first month” is December, and “last month” is February. Could it span years? That could get complicated. Is it possible to download the .csv of just the data too? This way the 2 sets (one Dec, the other Jan, Feb) could be put in excel and done manually.

I saw the tweet about virus, the only warning I got was that it wasn’t recognized, so I just did the “more info”, then “install anyway” on Windows 10. Not uncommon to see that.

Thanks again! Checking a bunch of IL and OH data. Not seeing much in the way of warming in either.

6. Matt says:

Tony,
    Great work.
    One man can make a difference. 50 $ on their way over to you. Watched the game,
    as German, soccer is pretty close to my heart. Warm rgds from Chile,
    Matt

7. pyromancer76 says:

Great effort for honesty, scientific integrity, and the scientific method. Contribution well deserved — always wish I could do more. Glad that those who are knowledgeable and computer literate can contribute significantly to the scientific discussion and debate, minimizing, competing with, fraud. Biggest question — why so much government-sponsored (American-government-sponsored) fraud? I hope all voters can do something to answer that question — with investigative diligence like Tony’s model here — during this primary election year.

8. I also suggest a version key in the software that “checks home” on your site first. If it’s an approved / supported version, (keys match or are in-range) continue pulling data from wherever you specify. If not, post a message and link about being disabled and requiring an update. This way if NOAA becomes irritable or a bug is found, you can disable the software entirely on your end, and control who downloads what from where and only allow the most recent versions to function. Maybe you already have that, or you’re specifying the download address on your side already, but if not, it might be difficult to control once in the wild.

Another cool feature, would be to allow groups, where you can either select common groups (Midwest for example, like your GHCN code allows in a listed way), or make your own by adding whole states to a group. I’m sure you’ve got plans on that one already.

Really having fun with this. Thanks again!

9. ossqss says:

Tony, mobile version?

10. Jack Striker says:

Mr. Heller, could you not just compress (right-click on the file and choose “Compress Pullingbackthecurtain.app”) the OS X version to offer it for distribution? The same would go for the *NIX versions.

Also, what stops NOAA et. al. from just changing their archive data, as they’ve already so readily done? They can lie about the real measurements just as easily as they can invent an algorithm to push the temperatures around.