Ten Minutes Of My Bicycle Commute

I saw all of these things during a ten minute period yesterday

Coyote looking for veal.

Getting discouraged

Giving up

Hawk flies into tree occupied by Kestrel.

Kestrel gets angry, dive bombs hawk.

Kestrel gives up, moves to next tree.

A proud new mom.

16 Responses to Ten Minutes Of My Bicycle Commute

1. mat says:

“Proud” new mom?

2. Andy says:

It’s really nice to see someone going out and taking pictures rather than people just looking at a phone screen, then getting home and and looking at another scree

This is why the western world is getting fat.

Sad!!!!

I did a 2 hour dog walk today, what have other people on here done?

Andy

• paul homewood says:

I’ve been to the gym.

The poor dogs had to stop in, as it has pissed down with rain all day (something to do with a drought apparently).

But I’m glad you enjoyed the pictures. Drop by again when you have something interesting to tell us!

Paul

• AndyG55 says:

“I did a 2 hour dog walk today, what have other people on here done?”

Lucky to have time.. you on the dole ??

• Scott Scarborough says:

Ran a 5K this morning. Plan to do some stretching this evening. Ran a 5K and went to the gym yesterday.

3. shempus says:

Anyone know which cute birds are in the first pic?

• Figaro says:

Brewer’s Blackbird, Euphagus cyanocephalus.

• KevinK says:

Nope, Common Grackle, Brewer’s Blackbird does not have the clearly evident contrast between the body and the head.

Also grackles have a proportionally longer tail (compared to body size).

Cheers, KevinK (amateur Ornithologist with a life list exceeding 2000 species observed on 6 continents).

• Figaro says:

I began questioning my opinion just after I hit send. You are right, shade of yellow in iris should also helped me identify it correctly. Cheers. Figaro, amateur birdwatcher and photographer for over 30 years ;-))

• shempus says:

Thanks. I mistakenly thought our Great-Tailed ones were the Common. We don’t get the Common or Boat-Tailed out here. Been amateur birder since I was 10 yrs old.

4. KevinK says:

Birds in photo #1 are Common Grackle; Quiscalus quiscula.

Common (just about everywhere east of the Rockies), noisy, somewhat obnoxious.

Iridescent blue/green/purple colors are an optical interference effect (as opposed to pigments). The feathers reflect some colors more strongly than others. When illuminated with strong light from behind the observer they can seem to “glow”.

Other birds with similar coloration effects include Mallard (green head on the male) and hummingbirds (chins especially). Effect is most pronounced with strong directional lighting (sunlight) and muted with diffuse lighting (cloudy days).

That is why on a cloudy day the head of a male Mallard looks black, but on a sunny day it can seem to glow green.

Cheers, KevinK

• KevinK says:

Oh, also, the three Grackles in the first photo are males. Females are a subdued brown color without the iridescent blue/bronze effect.

If you look up photos of male grackles you will see a wide variation in the colors (bright blue, drab, a little bronze, maybe a purple appearance), it is all an effect of the lighting conditions when the photo was taken.

Females lack the iridescent feathers and always look “just plain brown” in photos.

5. KevinK says:

Common Grackle;

Brewers Blackbird;

Note the longer tail and the clear delineation of the colors around the head. Grackles are larger and “huskier” than Brewers.

Cheers, KevinK

6. John of Cloverdale, WA, Australia says:

Nice photos, Tony. BTW, I saw an Osprey yesterday, plunging in the water after a fish, on a walk with my daughter along the banks of the Swan River (Perth). It is good that the local councils are preserving the habitats along the river and keeping the river healthy to keep these wonderful creatures breeding. Most days you will see Black Swans and often you may see river dolphins. Cheers.

• KevinK says:

The Osprey is considered to have a “cosmopolitan range”, it can be found almost everywhere except Antarctica. I have seen them at my residence (Upstate NY, USA), South America, Europe, Alaska, Yellowstone Park (USA), Africa, and Australia.

Some bird species only occur in a very limited range (IE Kirtland’s Warbler in the USA (Michigan)) and others show up just about everywhere.

Must have something to do with “climate disruption”….

Cheers, KevinK