Top Pictures From This Afternoon

10 Responses to Top Pictures From This Afternoon

1. Windsong says:

Tony, is the nesting raptor a Cooper’s Hawk?

• Windsong says:

I now think, yes. The eyes were my first clue, reading the “45 Years…” post was my second.

• tonyheller says:

That is a Cooper’s Hawk. The Red Tails I have been tracking appear to have failed, which is pretty typical for first year nesting Red Tails.

• shempus says:

Wow. You have found nesting Red Tails and Cooper’s right in your area? I’ve yet to see a Cooper’s nest here (in OC, socal) despite them being common here. I have seen them catch pidgeon though. Did find a Red Shouldered nest a couple years back but they haven’t returned to it yet. Very cool pics. Hey what type of turtles are those?

• RAH says:

Pretty sure the top two are western painted turtles. Painted turtles are very common in most of the US. The one it the water? Can’t tell for sure.

2. Andy DC says:

The “thing of the past”is still around and doing well even on Memorial Day weekend.

3. Rah says:

Nice shots. Seems to me that during my life I’ve saved more turtles than any other type of animal. Stopped and taken many a specimen off the road. Have been amazed at times just how far away from a good water source I’ve found snapping turtles.

• gator69 says:

My father taught me to stop for turtles. The trick is to make sure you place them on the side of the road to which they were headed, otherwise they will cross again. I onced stopped for an alligator snapping turtle whose shell was as big as a manhole cover. There was no way I was going to carry him considering his claws and bite, so I let him chase me into a ditch, which he did with gusto.

• RAH says:

Yep, no matter if the direction they’re heading makes sense to you doesn’t matter. The turtle is going that direction for a reason. So even if the sucker is heading away from the nearest water source into miles of cornfield put him on the side of the road he is trying to reach. The exception being impenetrable barriers being in the way like those sound proofing walls. Then it’s dealers choice depending on the situation.

And that brings up a pet peeve of mine that came to my attention during my time on the road. Many, if not most of those walls are 15′ or higher and provide no access for animals to get through. Some run for several miles. I think that they should be required to provide a way through from animals every so often along their length. It doesn’t matter if it’s in an urban or suburban environment. I’ve seen squirrel, coons, rabbits, skunks, and other critters right in good sized cities during my travels and provisions need to be made for them to transit through public barriers like those walls.

4. Steve Case says:

Number two looks like Astronomy Picture of the day for yesterday: