More Record Cold

The forecast maximum temperature for Cheyenne, Wyoming (where I live) this Sunday is 11F.

This would tie the October cold record of 11F set on October 30, 1991.

Last month Cheyenne broke the record for a one day drop in maximum temperature when temperatures dropped from 86F to 32F between September 7 and September 8.

I took this picture on September 9, west of Cheyenne.

Last year I was living in Boulder, Colorado, when they tied their record for coldest October afternoon on October 29. The high temperature that day was 21F, which tied the record set on October 31, 2002. We were trick or treating that night and I remember it well.

And on the first day of summer last year, the mountains west of Boulder looked like this.

7 Responses to More Record Cold

1. Brian D says:

With the cold and snow across NC US these past few days, you’d think it was November around here. It was 80 degrees in Duluth early in Oct(which was a record), to now snow piling up in the 3rd week of the month. 2020 has been a wild year in many respects. It’s like we are heading back to the past when extremes were more common, when it came to temps. 2020 has seen many top 5 high & low records around here.

2. lance says:

heading to 1F here in southern alberta come saturday morning….i could use a bit of GW…

3. Scissor says:

A good thing about the cold and snow is that it will help to put out the wildfires. I kind of like 80 F in October though.

4. Conrad Ziefle says:

That’s pretty cold. I lived in Denver and was involved in various energy studies back in the 1970s. It was before computers, and I used a little book of tables of monthly average hourly temperatures. I was surprised to find that for Colorado the average temperature for January was around 36 degrees Fahrenheit. I thought it would be a lot colder. So 11 degrees Fahrenheit in October is pretty low. I wish I still had my tables. They probably are different than what NOAA published now.

5. Robert Gipson says:

First, Tony, a question for you: Why are comments no longer visible?

Secondly, fyi, here’s another report of record cold. It’s at 3:20 in the following:

6. Mark Millwood says:

What’s happened to all that CO2 infrared radiation that’s supposed to keep up warm and snug? We’ve been duped.

7. Brian D says:

Tony, cannot see the comments. I use firefox and chrome. Nothing.