Newport, Arkansas Has Had A Cooling Trend Since 1891

Hi, everyone.
Today, I’m showing the mean annual temperatures in Newport, Arkansas.

As you can see, both the GHCN V3 Unadjusted data and the GHCN V4 Unadjusted data show a cooling trend since 1891, according to NASA.

However, the temperature trend in the GHCN V4 adj – homogenized data has no resemblance to those Unadjusted data.

I can’t believe that this goes unpunished in this century.

10 Responses to Newport, Arkansas Has Had A Cooling Trend Since 1891

1. Disillusioned says:

Thank you Kirye.

2. microelectrode says:

It’s funny how every single adjusted data set adjusts the past temperatures down. Those old mercury thermometers were downright unreliable!! I guess they were just way too complex to go wrong so often. Modern digital temperature data is so much better.

3. Liam says:

Hi Kirye,
    I was looking at your Hachijojima NASA graphs of a couple of days ago which appear to show almost 2 degrees of warming over about a century. Here on the west edge of Europe, the last time we had temperatures 2 degrees warmer than present was about 6,000 years ago. The sea level rose 4 metres and the lakes dried and shrank. We know the sea level changes from the geology of raised beaches which are found far inland. Isn’t it amazing how in the 20th-21st Century that the laws of physics altered so much that the temperatures can rise so high, (even if it isn’t a full 2 degrees), and melt so little ice! The lakes are still where they were and the sea level is still within a mm or two of where it was. Am I letting real science and common sense confuse me?

4. Terry Shipman says:

Great article. I laughed when I read it since I live 15 miles from Newport. I’m not surprised since everyone with a lucid mind, and their dog, knows that it is now cooler since the horrible heat waves early in the 20th century. I have written before on this site that I have been a jogger for about 17 years now. So I can vouch that the number of 100+ days of summer heat have been decreasing. So no, it is NOT getting hotter.

5. Gator says:

I have a t-shirt I bought years ago while floating the upper Buffalo River in Arkansas. We used an outfitter in Gilbert where I purchased the shirt, and the shirt reads, “Gilbert, the coolest town in Arkansas”. It is a tiny town where dogs sleep in the middle of Main Street. According to the state climatologist, Gilbert had the coolest mean temperature in the state. Might be worth a look…

6. Brian D says:

NWS office at Des Moines, IA recorded 9″ of global warming today with 1.5″ yesterday. 3-6″ of snow across S MN today, with another 3-6″ possible across much of MN tomorrow. These amounts are rather large for this time of the month and the frequency of snows already this month is quite impressive. 2020 has been one of extremes in the N Central US with many top 5 high and low records and very dry conditions for some, while others spots have seen near record precip.

Looks like we are heading back in time. CYCLES! CYCLES! CYCLES folks!

7. Mark Millwood says:

Could you please do an analysis of the temperature trend of Homer Ak. I have a liberal friend up there and he is not a well man at the moment, the worst case of TDS I’ve ever seen.
    He believes in the climate alarm, he says it’s hotter than ever, I suspect it’s just the Pacific Decadal Oscillation. Please help me to cure my friend.

8. Viv C says:

Hi Kirye
    More excellent work here. One would think under normal circumstances that after any necessary adjustments, at least some of the regions which you and Tony have highlighted over the years might show a falling trend. However, since they all have shown an increase and usually a significant uninterrupted increase, this indicates something more sinister going on. Of course, we all know why it has been done so please keep up the good work.

9. Bob Tisdale says:

Hi Kirye.

If I haven’t said this before, your contributions here at RealClimateScience are very much appreciated.

Thank you.