World Record Junk Science

Scientific American says a rat at the northern tip of the Great Barrier Reef has gone extinct due to sea level rise.

Climate Change Claims Its First Mammal Extinction – Scientific American Blog Network

Sea level is falling there, not rising.

PSMSL Catalogue Viewer

Later in the article they said that the extinction was due to storm surges.

That exact location is where the world record storm surge of 40 feet occurred in 1899.

Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society] The World Record Storm Surge

10 Responses to World Record Junk Science

1. Eli the pit bull says:

Junk science has been taken up a notch. Point it out and get cancelled
    Eli suddenly got permanently suspended (no explanation given)
    As all of my functions are now disabled, and even the ability to permanently nuke the account. I can still see it there, it’s just hanging in limbo
    It may take a day to permanently disappear, but in the mean time, after a break, I MIGHT come back as Eli’s other brother but I will have to use a separate email and phone number
    I’ve about had it with the left wing hacks on social media
    Both of my daughters had their Facebook accounts permanently suspended for misinformation, even though one is a pediatrician and the other a scientist In bio medical

2. Rud Istvan says:

The Brambles Key melomys is not a species, so technically this is only an extirpation. The melomys is common in PNG, and got to Brambles Key by rafting over from PNG on flotsam maybe 100 years ago.

3. arn says:

Well,maybe the rats all ran to one side of the reef tip and the reef tipped over and all drowned.
    I’m pretty sure Hank Johnson will second my theory
    (especially as it is more realistic that a reef flows and tips over than an island)

4. kzvx says:

The world has lost a rat. What a tragedy

5. Gamecock says:

Picking a 6 foot high, 12 acre island to live on didn’t work out for them.

BTW, Bramble Cay is way closer to PNG than to Australia. You look at a map and wonder, “How did this get to be part of Australia?”

It is claimed to be the northern most point in Australia.

I think it telling that after decades of “climate change,” this is its first victim. A few mice on a tiny island.

6. Brian Valentine says:

Some questions need answering.

When was it last seen? “Extinct” generally implies no sightings for 40 or 50 years.

What did it survive on? Were there any changes noted to the supply of that?

What were its predators? What flora and fauna coexisted with it? Were any changes noted in these populations?

I have no idea how you can bear looking at that junk science rag. It used to be a reputable publication, with some leftist opinions scattered commentary columns. Then it went full blown Marxist some 20 years ago.

7. GWS says:

Rats? We are wailing over rats dying? Would you like some rats from our area to replace them?

8. David G says:

If it is not a marsupial mammal, it is not indigenous to Australia. PNG origin seems most likely.

9. Jessica Pohl says:

I smell a terminally woke rat at Scientific American…