Superstition Based Science

In 2008, Australian experts announced the permanent drought in Southeast Australia

This drought may never break

Experts warn of never-ending drought

Shortly after they made these forecasts, it rained so much in Australia that it caused sea level to drop.

Australian floods of 2010 and 2011 caused global sea level to drop | Environment | The Guardian

Last year brought lots more rain to southeast Australia.

Australia floods: Western Sydney ‘greatest concern’ as more rain falls – BBC News

This year has also brought lots of flooding.

Australia floods: 50,000 on evacuation alert after deluge hits Sydney – BBC News

The last two years in southeast Australia have been “severe wet” or “extreme wet”

NACP – Drought Monitor

Alternating droughts and floods in Australia are driven by corresponding El Nino and La Nina events.

04 Jan 1876 – DRY WEATHER. – Trove

My Country by Dorothea Mackellar - Famous poems, famous ...

“My Country” by Dorothea Mackellar  September 5, 1908

“I love a sunburnt country, A land of sweeping plains, Of ragged mountain ranges, Of droughts and flooding rains. I love her far horizons, I love her jewel-sea, Her beauty and her terror – The wide brown land for me”

What is La Niña and how does it impact Australia?

Now the Guardian says climate change causes La Nina.

Weather tracker: La Niña and climate crisis behind recent Australia floods | Australia news | The Guardian

12 Responses to Superstition Based Science

1. Conrad Ziefle says:

Given that their area of study has so many variables, and that any change in environment takes decades, maybe centuries, to materialize, it seems strange that so many climatologists are willing to declare themselves to be the Einstein that has figured it out, or the Nostradamus, whose predictions are uncannily correct. As scientists, don’t they know that they are fighting horrendous odds?

2. Don B says:

OT –
    Within the last few days on Twitter, a person linked to a 5 minute video (which I can not find) Tony made explaining why CAGW is wrong. He discussed the high level of CO2 during the last 540 million years, the role of different greenhouses gases in slowing long wave radiation by explaining how CO2’s effect is limited, and other matters.

Does anyone have a link to that video?

3. Eli the Pit Bulldog says:

Get a load of this one😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
    Go get em Tony!

• arn says:

Funny that they blame climate change for lack of aerobical fitness
      while all stamina monsters who dominate Marathon are from hot regions,
      including tribes who hunt animals for hours until the prey is exhausted and can no longer run away.
      (but they were able to shift the effects of lockdowns and masks towards global warming)

• Radical Rodent says:

Nothing to do with sitting inside on computer games, coddled by their parents afraid that some harm may come should they step outside.

When I was a child, my friends and I, and other members of the brood, would disappear shortly after breakfast on our various adventures, with my mother not knowing where we were, but confident that I would tell her all about it when I turned up for tea.

• Radical Rodent says:

lol

4. Disillusioned says:

I have been watching all this very keenly for the past 13 years. It happens time and again, over and over – they make predictions and the opposite occurs. You’d think they’d think twice about being so quick to make dire predictions. But they don’t seem to care if their predictions backfire – they go right on making even more dire predictions. It is as if the only thing that matters is the prediction – not the outcome. SMH

5. The predictions don’t matter. What is important is the budget. As long as they get it wrong, they will need new work to ‘improve’ their models. Getting it right is the kiss of death of the gravy train.

If I were seeking to develop a perpetual motion machine, all I need is a bunch of ignorant suckers to invest in it, hide an electric motor somewhere in the contraption as a demonstrations. But, and here’s the clever bit, I would keep going back to the investors because the machine would always be in a state of ‘almost there’. As long as there are suckers to rip-off I get a steady income. With the education system in its current state, suckers abound.

6. Gamecock says:

The ‘drought indicator’ map above shows ‘severe drought’ in south central WA.

It is a desert region. Saying there is drought in a desert is goofy.

7. Ivan Wainwright says:

The Australian BOM now routinely records one second maxima on the digital thermometers which replaced mercury and similar analogue temperature gauges that were not sensitive enough to respond to 1 sec anomalous spikes in temperature. This renders the comparison of digital records with older analogue data erroneous and the epitome of unscientific methodology. This sleight of hand was at play when, in a FOI request for data demonstrating a purported 40.2 C degree day in January 2019, the BOM could only demonstrate that that temperature had been recorded for just 1 second and that the highest minute average (analogous to older style recordings) was just 39.1 C for that day – resulting in the recorded maximum being a whole 1.1 Deg C greater than what could be reliably demonstrated. Guess which of these two temperatures remains on the historic data for the day in question?