Being Gracious On Christmas

Last night I had Christmas Eve dinner with a small group of people, including a Democratic Party leader who started the evening ranting about evil Republicans, evil Trump and bragged about flying the US flag upside down.

Otherwise she was very charming, so I redirected the conversation to discuss common ground – wildlife habitat preservation in Boulder and the history of Los Alamos. I never expressed any of my own views about politics, and we all left the party as good friends.

25 Responses to Being Gracious On Christmas

1. McLovin' says:

Nicely done in setting the example for others. Such is the groundwork for progress. Merry Christmas (and Happy Hanuhkah as well).

• Gail Combs says:

What is the problem RAH?

She is only following in the footsteps of that Sainted Democrat, Edward Kennedy.

Kennedy bought cattle-car tickets when flying between MA and DC. However he always sat in first class. Finally he got caught because the first class cabin was full.

He refused to show his ticket to the stewardess so she called in the co-pilot. When the co-pilot insisted Saint Kennedy show his ticket and then sit in his assigned seat, Kennedy got the ENTIRE CREW FIRED!

Did this put a dent in his voters thick skulls?
      NO! Despite talk radio having many many clerks, waitresses, cabbies and others calling in with their horror stories about dealing with Saint Kennedy, my neighbor said he was going to again vote Kennedy.

When I asked why? He said because of all the great things he did for MA. When I asked him to name one he got a glazed look and just kept repeating ‘because of all the great things he did for MA’ like a broken record. ?

2. Gail Combs says:

Merry Christmas Tony, RAH, Gator, the Andy’s and the rest here at the Deplorable Climate blog.

AND

A truly MAGA New Year.

• RAH says:

Merry Christmas to you and yours Gail.
      Had ours here last night. The joy of excitement and wonderment on my 3 y/o granddaughters face was something to see. Later today we go to my parents the enjoy Christmas with them and my siblings and many of the nieces and nephews. And BTW I became a Great Uncle for the first time just two days ago. His name is Axle.

• Latitude says:

Merry Christmas Sis!!…..and everyone too!

• Andy DC says:

Thanks, Gail and the same to you! I always think of you and worry a bit when you don’t comment for awhile, but imagine you are traveling and enjoying life.

• Gail Combs says:

Andy,
        I have been hanging out at the Tree house reading the political news. It is better than a spy thriller these days.

However I like to come back here for a visit now and again since I miss this group.

3. Latitude says:

I read the news like a comic book now….with all their fear mongering

4. Andy says:

Note that Donald leaves 2017 with a better reputation than how he started the year, will be interesting to see that continues in 2018.

The economy will be better you would have to think, which was always the big sell.

Andy

5. Latitude says:

Mosul and Baghdad have put up huge Christmas trees…..
    …everyone is wishing Merry Christmas

Thank you President Trump!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. feathers says:

Merry Christmas Tony!

I discovered your blog this past summer and its been the best Christmas gift I could have hoped for!

7. Colorado Wellington says:

Much of the time that’s the only way to do things without having the Democrats start a fight.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

8. Gail Combs says:

For the Coffee Drinkers here is a great company: Black Rifle Coffee Company They employ veterans.

9. Gail Combs says:

ROTFLMAO, Stolen from waltherppk @ CTH

The way corporate news, fake news would have reported the story of Christmas

10. So an upset loser started talking about people, and Tony the engineer changed the subject to talking about ideas instead. Isn’t there a saying about what sort of minds are interested in what kind of topic? (Disclaimer: I vote against both the GOP and Dem parties)

• Gail Combs says:

Hank, it is known as being gracious at a Christmas dinner.

One of my brothers-in-law who I really love is a flaming liberal journalist. ? We stay on topics that are not going to cause permanent hard feelings esp. this late in life. How do you think I would feel if I got into a major fight with Kirk, an old caving buddy, over politics only to find he had died a few days later??

I have had discussions with him and some of my other liberal caving buddies and ‘steered’ their thinking into considering other options besides ‘The government should’ with quite a bit if success. But opening the eyes of friends should be done as gently as possible.

11. gregole says:

Merry Christmas all! And Happy (Belated) Hanukkah. Love this blog – Keep it up Tony!

12. pseudo-intellectual says:

Can Mr. Heller be certain the remarks of the unpatriotic Dem weren’t directed at him? [smile]

He surely is not unknown these days…

13. Ashley Pond V says: