In 1988 They Had An Excuse ….

People had an excuse for believing James Hansen’s BS this week in 1988.  Temperatures were very hot and the Mississippi River nearly dried up. Almost the entire country was above 90 degrees. But 1988 was an outlier – summer temperatures have been declining in the US for a century.

People didn’t know what was causing the drought, and snake oil salesman James Hansen offered them a cure.  All they had to do was give up their modern lifestyle and submit to global governance.

19 Jun 1988, 1 – The Jackson Sun at Newspapers.com

Thirty years later, the only excuse people have for believing Hansen’s nonsense, is ignorance.

11 Responses to In 1988 They Had An Excuse ….

1. Nutation_discombobulation says:

Could it be that scientists like Hansen ignore the obvious?
    For instance, there is a possibly simple explanation why studies in 2016 determined that sea level rise was beginning to accelerate at an alarming rate. Their analysis didn’t take into consideration the 18.6 year long lunar nodal cycle.

In the SD graph we see diversions from nominal rates around 1997 and 2015, which I believe are caused by an 18-20 year lunar cycle inducing a 22 mm global variability in sea surface levels. The graph also indicates that the recent rate of sea level rise has not increased but has fallen back closer to the norm after the 2015 (lunar?) anomaly.

I have chosen to use data without the Potsdam potato perturbation corrections due to possible misinterpretation of GRACE data, which Tony has touched on here 5 days ago. https://realclimatescience.com/2018/06/nasa-confirms-gravity-interpretations-are-junk-science/

• arn says:

Nice info.

The less people know about other driving factors of sea level rise,global warming etc,
      the easier those (cyclical)factors can be (miss)used by the cult as proof for global warming while in fact just a natural but rare(many years in between) occurence .

• terak says:

November 1997 and September 2015 are in the peaks of the respective super-strong El Ninos. It’s a bit far-fetched to invoke the moon to explain them.

2. Norilsk says:

I owned a farm back in 1988, and the drought was very real. I got to collect on my crop insurance for my anemic soybean crop. The Alfalfa, a drought resistant crop, did extremely well. In my 58 years, it was the worst drought ever here in southern Ontatio.

3. Norilsk says:

We had about 30 days straight of 30 C weather. It was brutal.

4. RAH says:

But the bombardment with 100% grade A BULL SHIT continues. Just got in from teaming and it was a couple of hard days. Took a shower, made a hot ham and cheese sandwich and macaroni salad my wife just made, which besides a 12″ Subway club on wheat eaten as I drove, was the only thing I’ve eaten since Midnight Tuesday, and sit down at my computer and on my news feed what pops up?

They are trying so hard to keep the scam alive it would be funny if it wasn’t so damned dishonest, deceitful, and predictable.

• Michael Spencer says:

Bloody disgraceful scaremongering!
      Here’s my attempt to counteract this sort of thing in Australia, although it applies anywhere. It’s theme is: “Don’t believe everything you’ve told; check it out for yourself!” http://www.galileomovement.com.au/media/ShouldYouReallyBeAlarmed.pdf.
      Strangely enough, you might just find one or three links to Tony’s work throughout ….. Feel free to scatter it around, should you feel it could be useful.
      P.S. Please note: we spell properly Down Under! :-)

5. Jimmy Haigh says:

I was a final year geology student back then and I think Hansen might have given a lecture on the topic at my University. Someone did – it might have been him. I remember calling it out for pure and utter bullshit back then. And my views on it haven’t changed.

6. GW Smith says:

The problem is that the left doesn’t believe it. They continue repeating and believing the AGW lie: https://www.yaleclimateconnections.org/2018/06/judgment-on-hansens-88-climate-testimony-he-was-right/?popupally_stop=subscriber

7. Eric says:

Looks to me like there is a correlation with the amount of “hot air” flowing in congress to the temperature.?

More seriously, thanks for the info and sharing facts I didn’t know.