Record Slow Arctic Melt Continues

Arctic sea ice volume is highest for the date in thirteen years.

June melt so far is the slowest on record.

Spreadsheet    Data

The interior of the Arctic is covered with 1.5-5 meter thick ice, generally thicker than it was 60 years ago and 80 years ago.

FullSize_CICE_combine_thick_SM_EN_20180608.png (1337×1113)

The Changing Face of the Arctic; The Changing Face of the Arctic – The New York Times

23 Feb 1940 – THE NORTH POLE

Climate scientists describe the record slow Arctic melt as “record fast” – because their funding depends on maintaining alarm about the climate.

There has been no trend in Arctic sea ice volume over the past eleven years.

8 Responses to Record Slow Arctic Melt Continues

1. Stewart Pid says:

The Arctic is giving old Griffy an iceberg enema and I am loving it. I wonder what the obsessive-compulsive alarmist / bed wetter will worry about now? Plastic straws??

• Griff says:

I think you are misinterpreting the evidence…

The extent is certainly approaching a record low for the time of year, the thickness charts show precious little ice over 2m, the Bering and Svalbard areas have record lows for the time of year and there has been a strong cyclone over the Kara. which will further impact extent.

How is this ‘recovering’ from recent low levels of sea ice? Its worse than last year…

• tonyheller says:

Doom approaches rapidly for climate alarmism.

• TimA says:

And that’s ice free….right?

• AndyG55 says:

“recent low levels of sea ice”

Extent has not drop below 90% of the last 10,000 years griff.

It has NOT been low.

What has happening since 1979 is a “RECOVERY” from extreme HIGH levels of Arctic sea ice.

Why do you continue to TOTALLY DENY climate change, griff ?????

• Phil. says:

Yes their model shows 1+ meter thick ice where their measurements show no ice, about time to update their model?

2. gregole says:

Considering all the melting arctic ice, and “record-breaking-breaking warm temperatures”; is anyone, rowing, or kayaking, or wind-surfing, or skateboarding, or paddle-boating or hang-gliding, to the North Pole this season, naturally to call attention to the crisis of melting arctic ice?

And in my younger days (I’m getting past my best-by date!) I had done some pretty insane stuff; including riding a bicycle on the Matanuska glacier north of Anchorage. Weirdest thing to be way out on a glacier. It’s eerily quiet; why wouldn’t it be. I didn’t go up far enough to to lose sight of other features fearing I’d get white-out and lose track of direction.

There was foliage and greenery off to my right, so I went in that direction. I found something like a narrow track and biked along that for a bit. I was surrounded by greenery and slowly made my way forward. Suddenly the ground gave way under me. Instinctively, I grabbed the bike with my legs and grabbed some kind of small tree with my arms and hands. I looked down at my legs and the bike, and saw that I was dangling above a chasm of incalculable depth. I was staring at death. I slowly hoisted myself and the bike up. Very carefully, I retraced my steps back the to edge of the glacier and followed that down to safety.

I was in Alaska three different times while in the military and have been above the arctic circle in October. I am certainly no expert on the arctic, but my layman’s impression is that it is a desolate, empty, potentially deadly place. Have survival skills and training, and unlike me exercise good judgement or don’t venture out alone.

And say, is anyone calling for an ice-free arctic this year? If not, when?