Researchers Say …

Researchers say more than $20 billion in total home revenue in Collier County will be submerged in the next 81 years.

A new study by GoBankingRates and Zillow finds sea level rise will overtake Naples putting 28,000 homes under water by 2100.

Study says sea level rise will hurt Naples home values

Sea level at Naples, FL is rising at 2.85 mm/year.  In the next 81 years, it will rise about nine inches. Tides there vary about four times that much every day.

Sea Level Trends – NOAA Tides & Currents

The lowest elevation yard I can find in Naples is about 10 feet.

Elevation of Naples, FL, USA – Topographic Map – Altitude Map

There is no reason to believe 28,000 homes in Naples are threatened by sea level rise.

So what would be the motivation of real estate agents and bankers to manipulate the real estate market? Are they looking for the sale of 28,000 homes? Lots of money to be made for them if that occurs.

14 Responses to Researchers Say …

1. Rob Shinn says:

GoBankingRates and Zillow are fronts for the mortgage and real estate markets. I wonder if they stand to gain anything from the sale of thousands of homes? 🤔

2. Timo, Not That One says:

Oh my goodness! It has already driven the price of the finest beachfront condos all the way down to $13,000,000.00!

3. R Shearer says:

How about Marco Island? It’s a little more upscale.

Anyway, we’ve been warmed and need to visit before 2100. Actually, if the world is ending in 12 years (minus x months), at this point what difference does it make?

• Colorado Wellington says:

“… we’ve been warmed …”

I’ve been left out! I want to be warmed, too! 😎

I don’t want to be cold for the remaining 12 years of my life …

4. Timo, Not That One says:

Oh my goodness! It has already driven the price of the finest beachfront condo all the way down to $13,000,000.00!

5. Robert Simpson says:

As a Naples resident, I can tell you it’s way too crowded in the winter. And since the Gulf of Mexico will soon submerge the city, you should stay away for your own safety. It’s too late for me.

• Disillusioned says:

The exodus is real and happening now. My cousin made a killing on their property in Naples and moved to Sarasota county.

6. Gamecock says:

‘But researchers say people really need to be aware of what is projected for the future’

Projected. Whatever that means. They can’t predict the future, but they can ‘project’ it? And you really, really need to be aware of their projections? Don’t go to the grocery store without it!

Looking around the Atlantic coast on Google Earth, Naples’ elevation rise from the shore seems to be greater than along the South Carolina coast, for example. Why single out Naples for risk when they seem less vulnerable than other places?

‘Trish Kelley said it’s hard to wrap her mind around the data.’

Data? The study is certified 100% data free.

7. jb says:

Naples — and the areas all around it — consists of a lot of swamps, and a lot of filled in swamp. The place is ripe for flooding if more of it becomes filled in — just like Miami and Ft. Lauderdale.

8. Petit_Barde says:

My projection is that some gullible will be ripped off by those snake oil salesmen if they do not inform themselves, for example reading or listening to Nils Axel Mörner.

If not, they will face big money fraudsters and their corrupted activist henchmen as in the village of Fairbourne in North West Wales :

9. Gamecock says:

Buying opportunity.

10. gregole says:

Ok, so I read something on the internet about demographics up to 2040. What’s that; about 20 years from now? And of course buried in the article was the usual reference to climate change and rising sea levels and I think the article said a foot of sea level rise. Doesn’t matter. Pick a number. But. Do some arithmetic.

20 years
    1 foot = 12 inches
    inches / years = inches per year = 12/20 = 0.60 inches per year.
    But sea-level rise is usually expressed in millimeters so
    0.60 * 25.4 = 15 mm

Hmmm. Sea level is and has been rising at about 3mm per year. When did it shift to 5x?

Do any of these article writers know how to use a cell-phone calculator?

• Mark A Luhman says:

“Do any of these article writers know how to use a cell-phone calculator?”
      Short answer no, worst yet, they have no idea how to use their brain.

11. ZZMike says:

There’s a site – I lost it a while back – that has satellite views of places around the globe, taken recently and some decades ago. One I remember is of the west coast of Africa. No noticeable difference – and the slope of the land is quite gradual.