Record Heat Of January 26, 1950

On this date in 1950, twenty-two states were over 70 degrees, fourteen were over 80 degrees, and Texas reached 96 degrees.

TimesMachine: Friday January 27, 1950 – NYTimes.com

6 Responses to Record Heat Of January 26, 1950

1. John Sturges says:

A single day in history does not say much. What is the avg temp for 2020 and where does it fit the trend of the past 100yrs for the national record? My guess based on your earlier posts is the temp trend continues to drift lower.

• Steve Case says:

John Sturges says:
      January 26, 2021 at 12:32 pm

John, it’s the avg temp that doesn’t say much. The average of 49 and 51 is 50. The average of 1 and 99 is also 50. Two very different data sets same average. Dixie Lee Ray, a very interesting character in 20th century America, said that you should beware of averages, after all, the average person has one breast and one testicle.

You can bet if the same conditions that caused the 1950 spike were to occur today, the left would be screaming about it.

2. Steve+Cooksey says:

I think that was the day after my Dad bought Mom a new car. A gasoline burning Ford.

3. Ron says:

Climate changes, all the time. We had a dry winter until recently. Today I was shoveling two feet of snow.

4. WCK says:

Two things cause climate catastrophes, impacts and eruptions, large ones as in asteroid or supervolcano. Everything in and on the Earth has been here for a billion years and has not caused a run-away event that I have seen evidence for. The Millankovic cycles and a low CO2 level are responsible for ice ages, which is where we are headed in a couple of million years if we don’t get busy and build some more gas-guzzlers.

5. Pamela Matlack-Klein says:

Yeah, it happens, it’s called weather. I can remember both very warm spells and snowy spells when I lived in D.C. from 1966-1976. Sailing on the Potomac at Christmas and shoveling out from under a blizzard the following year.