The Untouchables

Climate alarmists know that they can say whatever they want, and the press will give them coverage and never ask any questions.

Three weeks ago Jonathan Overpeck said the southwest got over 115F and the US was experiencing its first megadrought. He predicted “yet another extreme wildfire year.”

Extreme heat and the ongoing aridification of the West | TheHill

Twenty-four states have been over 115F, and all occurred with CO2 below 350 PPM.

Much of the southwest is now flooded.

With lots more rain in the forecast.

10-Day Precipitation Outlook for the Conterminous U.S.

Despite the flooding, NOAA is still showing the southwest in drought.

Link

Though nowhere near magnitude of the drought of 1934, which covered 80% of the country.

Link

The 1934 drought was worldwide.

During 1934, the world experienced unprecedented drought and heat.

22 Jun 1934, Page 3 – Hartford Courant at Newspapers.com

04 Jun 1934 – WORLD DROUGHT – Trove

19 Jul 1934 – DROUGHT IN ENGLAND. – Trove

The western US has had many megadroughts, lasting hundreds of years.

“Scientists who study the West’s long-term climate patterns say that California has had multiple droughts of 10 or 20 years in a row during the past 1,000 years — and two severe “megadroughts” of 180 years and 240 years.”

Graphic: California’s droughts in the past 1,200 years – The Mercury News

Ancient Trees Reflect Century-Long Droughts : Environment: Analysis of stumps’ rings shows that dry spells can last far longer than the state has estimated, expert says. – latimes

Severe Ancient Droughts: A Warning to California – The New York Times

OliverHarleyMaxwell19-April30-2500Yrs-HydroClimateVar-NewMexico

Overpeck wrote a paper in 1994 saying that droughts in Africa were much worse 3,000 years ago.

“For at least 3,000 years, a drumbeat of potent droughts, far longer and more severe than any experienced recently, have seared a belt of sub-Saharan Africa that is now home to tens of millions of the world’s poorest people, climate researchers report in a new study.”

“The lead authors of the report, Timothy M. Shanahan of the University of Texas at Austin and Jonathan T. Overpeck of the University of Arizona, warned that global warming resulting from human-generated greenhouse gases was likely to exacerbate those droughts”

Study Finds Pattern of Severe Droughts in Africa – NYTimes.com

Overpeck says this year’s drought is unprecedented and the fire season will be record breaking.

Worsening climate extremes and failing infrastructure are inexorably intertwined | TheHill

Burn acreage so far this year is below average for the date and less than 2% of the pre-industrial average.

National Fire News | National Interagency Fire Center

National Report on Sustainable Forests — 2010

Wayback Machine

Overpeck has made clear his agenda to demonize fossil fuels, and apparently no lie is too big towards that regard.

(35) Tony Heller on Twitter: “@GreatLakesPeck

12 Responses to The Untouchables

1. G W Smith says:

They speak in sound chambers, hearing only their own voices, and believing they are being confirmed.

• Richard says:

you should see the push back I get for posting GW facts on Linkedin, from supposed engineers & scientists – people hate facts when because a talking head at AP or CNN tells them so

2. arn says:

This must have been the shortest longest megadrought ever.

(and one can only wonder how biased the NOAA code is,when even floods are covered in red on the maps
    “never let truth get in the way of your longtime indoctrination capaign”)

3. Bob Cherba (@rbcherba) says:

As I read through most of the material, I thought back to weather coverage in the 1940s and -50s. We had brief weather reports on radio and a black-and-white US map with isobars and a brief description of US and world weather. Even tho’ I read the local newspapers from front to back, I don’t recall much detail on what the weather was doing around the country or world– unless it was a major disaster. The Mississippi flooded every year, somewhere it was dry and somewhere else it was wet. Every year we had record heat, cold, floods, and droughts — somewhere. Now we have instant world weather news, with live, ‘living-color’, on-site reporting, satellite views and computer models. We can see the floods, droughts, tornadoes, hurricanes and natural disasters as they occur, or are forecast to occur, around the earth — with occasional news of the global warming on Mars and photos of the sun’s coronal mass ejections.
    In the 40s and 50s, most of our homes didn’t have air conditioning, nor did our schools, offices, stores or factories. We sweat, and had trouble sleeping in the heat and humidity.
    In early August, 1959, I was sent to Keesler AFB, near Biloxi, Mississippi. We lived in a cottage with a big fan a short distance from the Gulf beach. My wife and I weren’t aware that it was the peak of the hurricane season. Fortunately, we only had a tropical storm or two between August and November. (Our cottage has since been destroyed.)
    Now, we’re climate refugees who moved from Michigan to Arizona about 40 years ago. Here pretty much everything is air conditioned, and it’s always pleasant early in the morning.
    Dr. Overpeck used to be at the U of Arizona. Unfortunately, he transferred to my alma mater, the U of Michigan, which has been a huge disappointment to me for the last 30 years.

4. aeroearth says:

I assume “jonathan overpeck” is a dedicated communist on the public payroll fully committed to promulgating the utterly baseless communist lie of “human caused climate change”contrived by the communists to overthrow Capitalism – everywhere.
    At some stage soon The People will cry out enough. Then they will move en mass against the communists and as history shows, when The People revolt against their oppressors the results can be pretty barbaric.

5. gregole says:

Phoenix area had a brief heatwave in June – now it’s humid and rainy and not that hot. Funny, when it gets damp and cools off in Arizona, no one wants to talk about it. But our weather is quite dynamic particularly during the monsoon. And yes we get tremendous heat spells but this summer has not been that hot by comparison – at least so far. It’s only July.

Quick funny story: I went on vacation for two weeks to Oregon and left just before the big heat wave day or two above 100 F. Was in choir rehearsal at church before leaving and the choir motor-mouth old-lady soprano (and uber leftist commie…) started rattling on about the Oregon heat-wave being due to MannMade Climate Change. I couldn’t take it. First off she talks way too much during rehearsals and is basically an idiot and second, MannMade Climate Change is pure scientific fraud.

So from the back of the choir in the baritone section I immediately boomed “Global warming is fraud. It is the largest scale fraud in the history of science!” There was a welcome silence and we got back to work.

I thought for sure I’d get excommunicated as it is an Episcopalian church. But upon my return, not a word and motor mouth is actually better behaved now.

6. Robertvd says:

Climate alarmists, the press, politicians , hollywood all paid by the same master behind the curtain. Those who can print all it needs to corrupt the system. Those who are above the law.

7. rah says:

Although I totally agree with the entire premise of this post, it should be noted that the Palmer Drought Index is a lagging indicator. Check on it in 30 days and see what it is showing.

8. oldefarte says:

I live in the PacNW and have for 40 years. I remember droughts and heat waves in the 1980’s (indeed, having moved here to get away from those miserable, hot, humid summers in the Midwest, I was shocked when, within weeks of arriving here, Portland was experiencing 100+ Fahrenheit temps and half the population was down by the banks of the Columbia or Willamette cooling off). We had ’em in the 90’s. We’ve had one for the last couple of years (but 3 years ago, I – in a 4X4 F350 – was getting stuck in snow drifts at under 5K feet elevation on June 26). BUT the one thing I will always remember when the popular media tells me how hot and dry it’s become is a sign I saw posted above a urinal in the Bay Area back in the mid-70’s (when CO2 levels were around 325 ppm) and which read: “In this land of sun and fun, we don’t flush for Number One”. Yup. Northern California and the Pac NW were in the middle of a terrible drought back then, too, one so bad that urinals were running dry – and I found out why, a year or so later, when I bought a couple books (best sellers, both) on climate change. Seems we were headed into a “New Ice Age” (after “40 years of unprecedented cooling” if I remember correctly *) and, you know, when temps are cool, there’s less evaporation and, hence, less atmospheric moisture to produce rain. Plus, of course, precipitation is necessarily reduced when so much of the Earth’s water is locked up in glaciers and ice sheets… Let’s just say that it all seemed pretty “science-y” to me (and I was assured that scientists were “unanimous” on that cooling issue – none of this mere 97% stuff). Who’d have guessed that within a decade, we’d have slipped into catastrophic global warming? Surely, these are dangerous times we live in.

[* Actually, that was from a “Newsweek Special Edition”, its 3rd best selling one, back in 1975. That “Special Edition” was a follow-up to an April 1975 “Newsweek” article which popularized the global cooling notion which had already been bruited about by the scientific community for decades – it is, btw, that particular article which is the “single magazine article” which “Scientific American”, in Feb. 2014, claimed was the sole basis of the “global cooling hoax”, a fiction which modern climate alarmists are determined to claim was the totality of the “global cooling scare” – thankfully, I kept those books (“The Cooling” and “The Coming Ice Age”; BTW, surprisingly, the former, in used condition, is still available on Amazon, something which might have been discerned by the staff at “Scientific American” when they wrote their “single magazine article” assertion. That “oversight” does cause me some doubt about “Scientific American’s” reliability, but, hey, it’s “science” – says so right on the cover, so I guess we must believe it’s real…). Amusingly, back in August of 2007, “Newsweek” – now owned by “The Daily Beast” – ran afoul of even its own “journalistic standards” with an extended editorial – misrepresented as “news” and even promoted as the cover story – on “Climate Change deniers”. Seems it was, well, a pack of knowing lies, distortions, and misrepresentations designed to “take down” the “deniers” – and that was “Newsweek’s” own assessment. The rest of the world was even harsher. Perhaps “climate change” is a topic “Newsweek” might wish to give a rest.]

9. paul courtney says:

Mr. Heller is likely aware that the Forest Service wildfire chart got smoked recently, cut off around 1960. The claim was prior records were not reliable, and some comments at WUWT said too much pre-1960 records didn’t separate controlled burns that got away. I wonder if news accounts from the thirties and forties speak of smoke dimming the sun downwind, because our local weather folks say we are seeing smoke from western and canadian wildfires affecting SW Ohio skies presently. My guess is that news accounts from Ohio in that era would verify heavier smoke from the vast fires of that day.

10. Gamecock says:

I have never been able to wrap my brain around drought in a desert. That’s why it’s a desert.