Deliverance

Bobby: Which way we goin’, this way or that way?
Lewis: I think downstream would be a good idea.

17 Responses to Deliverance

1. Stewart Pid says:

Squeal like a pig

2. Gator69 says:

One of my favorite things to do. As a young man, I spent a good portion of my Sumners cleaning up America’s first National Scenic Riverway. It went from a dumping ground for old appliances and automobiles, to being one of the most beautiful rivers you will ever see. Kids today have no idea what real pollution is, or what it looks like.

3. Rud Istvan says:

Two hints from a very experienced canoer/kayaker. 1. When alone, use the other seat placed more forward. Lowers the bow, creates more directional stability. 2. Use a J stroke. Pull straight back, then when the blade starts naturally to pull out of the water do a 90 degree twist and a quick push out (the curl in the J). This brings the canoe back into the straight travel line that the offset pullback causes to veer off of. That way you only shift paddling sides to rest the arms. Beautiful river.

• AndyG55 says:

And as an Aussie.. Get a hat.

Like many of us as we get older, your head lacks the sun protection it used to have.

Not meaning to be rude, btw.. you know I also have that issue.

• Andy DC says:

As you get older, a cap is great for hiding bald spots and makes you look younger. A lot cheaper than a toupee as well!

• tonyheller says:

Perhaps not, when trying to keep a drone from hitting trees and need to maneuver quickly.

• gator69 says:

Yep, I figured out as a kid that if wanted to spend less time dragging botom while canoeing alone, I needed to turn the canoe around. I used to get alot of strange looks, and snarky comments insinuating that this must be my first float trip, but then I was usually the one helping those folks out downstream.

I prefer to canoe solo, unless she’s really good looking, affectionately charitable, and into the outdoorsy type.

• Colorado Wellington says:

Rud,

You are right about the J-stroke, of course, but I found long time ago that under some circumstances when canoeing solo you want to sit in the back for quick directional maneuvering. In the 1970s a buddy and I canoed a small river and found a weir with the perfect wave below. That day I learned how to “surf” solo across the wave in our open canoe. The biggest problem was that my buddy wanted to do the same darn thing!

We took turns, hour after hour. We didn’t paddle. All we had to do was keeping the blade in the water and steer across. We had to be lightning quick in minor directional adjustments to stay on the upstream side of the wave. Sitting in the back with the front of the long canoe out of the water made it possible. Turning around 180 degrees at the end of the ride and not getting swept downstream was the hardest part (there was less flow on one side of the weir and we found a way to turn there).

It was the most fun I’ve ever had on a such a wave, similar to the one in the picture of the rebuilt Hambleden weir in the picture below but longer and smoother, with less churn and backsplash on top. I don’t think I could do the same thing on Hambleden in an open canoe.

• Colorado Wellington says:

edit: similar to the one in the picture of on the rebuilt Hambleden weir in the picture below …

4. Andy DC says:

Great song. Not sure about the movie.

5. TimA says:

That looked like Burt Reynolds from the back…..

6. John says:

Jon Voigt speech before election.