1918 Influenza Pandemic Killed 50 Million People

17 Oct 1918, Page 8 – Santa Ana Register at Newspapers.com

The 1918-1919 flu epidemic killed three times as many people as died in WWI, most of whom were young adults who lacked immunity to the virus strain. Many people died the same day they started feeling ill.

29 Oct 1918, Page 4 – Wilkes-Barre Semi-Weekly Record at Newspapers.com

22 Aug 1938 – INFLUENZA – Trove

January 1918 was third coldest on record in the US, after 2018 (so far) and 1977.

9 Responses to 1918 Influenza Pandemic Killed 50 Million People

1. kyle_fouro says:

I wonder how the AZ January has stacked up. Particularly tough flu season this year

• Squidly says:

No it’s not! … this year is nothing out of the ordinary of any other year. Just like climate, the number of cases of Flu eb and flows from year to year, and as Tony has so rightfully pointed out, we have never seen anything remotely close to what some Flu seasons of the past have been like.

Since I have been alive (55 years), I could count no less than 25 of those years the media bloviating how we are all going to die this Flu season. Honestly, does everyone in this country have the attention span of a gnat and the memory of a fruitfly?

2. RAH says:

It is hard to imagine the breadth and scope of that terrible period. Of course the general decline in wellness from the strains and deprivations of war for both civilians and soldiers had to have something to do with it as did the massive numbers of people on the move at the time.

This year, having read that there were two virulent strains that would emerge and that for once the concoction for the annual inoculation would be effective against both strains as they were at that time, I got my first flu shot ever in mid December.
    Never took one before and always was able to gut it out and continue to work if I came down with it. But as I get older I’m not so sure I could do that anymore.

• feathers says:

The pandemic dropped the average life expectancy in the US by 12-years! Seriously, a 12-year dip in one year due to the 1918 pandemic!

3. feathers says:

In one month (October) the 1918 influenza pandemic killed 12,000 people in Philadelphia alone.

Trivia question – Why was the 1918 pandemic called “Spanish Flu”?

• feathers says:

Spain actually didn’t have the first case of pandemic H1N1 influenza nor did Spain have cases any more abnormal than the rest of the world. WWI was still contested during 1918. The flu pandemic was hitting both the axis and allied forces hard but fearing news of sick troops would give their opponent the upper had, neither reported the severity of the flu during 1918. Spain – neutral during WWI – did not have these concerns thus decided to report the unusually virulent strain of influenza spreading throughout the country. Therefore since Spain was reporting its flu cases the pandemic was coined “Spanish flu” and the rest is history.

4. Squidly says:

Tony, I am so glad you brought this up, for it was just last night our local news had another scare story about the Flu. I am so sick and tired of these stupid scare stories. They were hyperventilating because something like 20 people have died from the Flu so far this year. OMG! .. We’re All Gonna Die !!! …well, that’s the way the made it sound. Pathetic!

5. OneTeam says:

I’d like respond to these flu scare stories but I’m too busy fighting off the killer bees (kids, ask your parents).