Becoming An Eagle

Great day for birds today.

Northern Harrier

Kestrel with her breakfast.

One of the males I see rests on one foot.

But when he flies, you can see the other foot.

I saw three Red Tailed Hawks this morning.  They must be starting to think about nesting again.

And I got a phone call while I was out walking about becoming an Eagle for a few months.

14 Responses to Becoming An Eagle

1. RAH says:

The owls not in evidence I presume?

2. Gerald Machnee says:

Great Horned Owls should be nesting or preparing now.

3. shempus says:

Cool to watch redtails courting with the aerobatics and chatting.

4. I. Lou Minotti says:

Great photos of beautiful birds, Tony. Since I can’t borrow your camera, I guess I’ll have to buy one! Is it the Canon PowerShot SX720HS?

5. Extreme Hiatus says:

I’m not 100% sure because I can’t see the rest of it but I am quite sure that that Red-tail is a juvenile light phase Harlan’s race of Red-tail. The most obvious indicator of that is the spectacled look due to the white around its eye. They were formerly considered a separate species, breed in northern forests (so would be a migrant there) and are sort of rare. If you had any other photos showing it from behind or flying one could be sure.

It is actually too early for much courtship behavior in Red-tailed Hawks now but you should have lots of migrants and/or wintering birds down there now – which also sometimes play around and look like they’re courting.

6. Paul says:

The Kestrel photos reminded me of back in the early 90’s when I was assigned to a CG Cutter out of Portsmouth, VA. On our way to the Caribbean for patrol we picked up a Kestrel during some snotty weather off Cape Hatteras,NC. It circled the ship several times, and finally took roost in the mast. Every couple of hours it would take off, circle the ship and return to the mast. Stayed with us for about 2 days until we reached the Bahamas, and it departed. Simply beautiful. I have somewhere a couple of fuzzy pictures..somewhere…

7. Andy DC says:

Absolutely beautiful and fascinating pictures!

8. John of Cloverdale WA says:

Thanks once again for the wonderful photos, Tony.
    Your blog is one of the first I go to in the morning.

9. KevinK says:

Great photo’s.

Scan fence posts and the tops of shorter trees/bushes, you may see Loggerhead Shrikes.

They also perch and scan the ground for lizards and insects.

AKA the “Butcher Bird/Larder Bird”, they are known for “storing” a meal for future use by sticking it on a thorn.

Mostly gray, smaller than a Kestrel (but shaped about the same), easy to overlook, fairly common. Tends to leave the top of a bush and swoop down right above ground level towards it’s prey. Kestrel’s tend to go up from their perch and hover over the prey before diving.

• KevinK says:

Also, the Shrike looks very similar to a Mockingbird, you have probably seen Shrikes and thought they were just a Mockingbird. The shrikes are very quiet, heck, every bird is quiet compared to a Mocking bird.

• Extreme Hiatus says:

Good point Kevin. And Northern Shrikes should be there at this time of year too.

10. JOHN ELVIDGE says:

You must have very good vision yourself.