New Mexico Rocks

Besides having some of the most stunning scenery on Earth, Northern New Mexico has some of the most interesting geology.  A million years ago, the Jemez Caldera super-volcano eruption deposited thousands of feet of ash where Los Alamos, New Mexico is now located.

The photograph below shows three very distinct geologic formations – dominated by igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic rocks from front to back.  The pink Miocene lake beds at center contain some nice camel fossils, and are one of my favorite places to go hiking.

12 Responses to New Mexico Rocks

1. R. Shearer says:

How do you know the camels were nice?

2. Texas sharp-shooter says:

Boy you caught the sunlight pretty. That 2nd shot is a doozy. Up and at it before breatfast, huh.

3. Robertv says:

I see they also call it Valles Caldera

4. jack b:-) says:

Helped dig quite a few fossils out of those mountains back in the day. Every night in a pitched tent there was/is a true blessing. One of the most unique places on the planet. I never get tired of northern New Mexico, and the Ruidoso area of southeastern NM is pretty special as well. We spend a lot of time there when it gets into the high summer down here in west Texas.

5. Nelson says:

I’m a long time owner of a cabin in Chama NM. A very special area indeed. Great pictures. I highly recommend the Conejos river valley just over in southern CO. Lots of great fishing and hiking. Backcountry skiing is pretty special between the Cumbres Pass and La Manga pass. Friends run a yurt up in Spruce Hole in the winter time. An easy ski in and an amazing place. A long way from anywhere.

6. Jack says:

Please share your location where you took the lower photo…

7. Jeff Jones says:

I used desert formations mike that as the pattern for the fiberglass ‘hill’ to mount the 10′ long woodcarving of a panther to dedicate to my high school at our 50th class reunion last year. Orange sandstone cliffs with sparse desert vegetation is perfect backdrop in school colors of orange and green.