Declining March 21 Temperatures In The US

We are having a blizzard on the East Coast and same in the California mountains, but March 21 wasn’t always cold like this. March 21 temperatures were generally much warmer prior to the 1950’s.

On hundred years ago today, almost three fourths of the US was above 60F.

On this date 80 years ago, more than half of the US was over 70F.

On this date in 1921, it was hot in Boston and one person died from the heat.

21 Mar 1921, 2 – The Courier at Newspapers.com

It is freezing cold here in Philadelphia and snowing, and has been all month. But it wan’t always cold like this.  There were many years (when atmospheric CO2 was lower) during which March 21 was a very warm day.

Climate experts claim that spring is arriving earlier due to global warming, but like with everything else they say – they have no idea what they are talking about.

Washington DC cherry trees are blooming about two days later than they did 30 years ago, when CO2 was below 350 PPM.

9 Responses to Declining March 21 Temperatures In The US

1. Mark Fife says:

I am literally imitating Tony here. This is going to form the basis for post on my blog.

This is the result from looking at the GHCN daily max and daily min data referenced from the data sources page at Berkeley Earth. Most of that data, some 4600 stations, is not usable. I restricted the data to stations reporting every year from 1900 to 2011, which is the last year in the data set. There were 493 stations which met that criteria.

This is almost a carbon copy of every such chart I have seen here.

The only addition I bring is the “days under” chart. Which is in Fahrenheit instead of Celsius mainly because that’s the scale most of my readers are familiar with. It is interesting to me because I don’t see any pattern indicating there are less days at or below freezing. If AGW were truly happening you should see fewer and fewer really cold days.

• Mark Fife says:

I may have spoken too soon on the number of really cold days. I will let the graphs do most of the talking. This is the technique of converting measured data to a standard normal distribution. Originally by the raw data I do not see any patterns. However, when converted to a standard normal graph I see several outliers outside of a 95% confidence interval.

When I take this to a running 5 year average a pattern emerges which matches what we have seen historically. There is little doubt these apparent trends represent true changes.

2. Gary Mullennix says:

With so many entries showing the unlikelihood of AGW, why does the AGW story continue without pause? Money?

• David Reich says:

In my view, it has to do with how young people, leftists, the media, universities acquire knowledge today. For many, whether they know it or not, the mind is separated from the body so that people now identify with “x” and things about life and human nature that were once accepted at face value are now categorized as merely social constructs. So, who cares what the data says or even what science says. Our culture is consumed with image and emotion; as one of my profs said, “the make-up man is more important than the speech-writer.”

3. Steve Case says:

A few days ago we had a professional landscaper over for a quote to do some work. In the chit-chat of the visit, I mentioned that my tomatoes have been crappy for the last few years and added that I thought I should maybe have used some fertilizer.

Without skipping a beat the landscaper told me that tomatoes have done poorly in our area these last few years because summers have been too cool.

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, the local liberal rag has run stories telling us how hot summers have been :

August on track to be one of warmest

• Mark Fife says:

Tomatoes don’t lie. Here in Atlanta I used to be able to get away with partial shade. Last year I had to move to planting in pots on the back deck which is like a sun deck. It gets mighty warm even in winter. They did okay, but never really took off like they should.

4. Joe says:

It appears the U.S. may be headed into an ice age. Nearly every post on here has shown declining U.S. temperatures throughout the year.