500X Zoom From 3.5 Miles

Downslope winds today, so very little atmospheric distortion.

15 Responses to 500X Zoom From 3.5 Miles

1. Donna K. Becker says:

Great camera, as well as photographer!

2. misanthropicMarc says:

Impressive. digital or optical?

• arn says:

It should be a mix of 125*opitcal*4*digital.

I don’t even dare to ask how much a 500*optical zoom objective would cost.

• Disillusioned says:

A painterly look is a tell-tale giveaway of digital magnification. Nevertheless, that is by far the best lens of any bridgecam I have seen yet. Very impressive images, especially from such a small sensor.

3. AZ1971 says:

Good Lord Tony, you’re making me hate my own eyesight even more than usual. I could barely make out the vehicles in the front of the field of view, let alone what your camera caught!

4. GeologyJim says:

Welcome back to CO, even if it’s to the People’s Republic of Boulder

The usual Leftist clap-trap has continued unabated in your absence [ho-hum]

5. spangled drongo says:

Tony, what’s the raptor in the bottom pic?

6. oldscout says:

Hi Tony,
    Since this post has no topic I can pose a couple of unrelated questions without being digressive.

First, can I still access the background information which you formerly linked in the thick black border under the Toto banner? The links were great teaching tools, and I would like to forward a few from time to time to persuadables.

Second, can you clear up an assertion I read a few times in old posts. You stated iirc that about 50% of recent data in climate records is interpolated rather than directly measured, and that this percentage is higher than in past decades. Do I remember this correctly? If so, how is this possible in an era of online automated remote measurement? Are these US data or from foreign sites?

Thanks for any help.

• neal s says:

To access what you call “background information”, you might try the wayback machine.

The above is the latest snapshot which still had these links.

• tonyheller says:

US data is now nearly 50% fake, up from 10% 40 years ago

• David A says:

Tony, have toe tried your camera for astro-photography? Would love to see the moon at 500X.
        Can you again share the make, model and lens?

• oldscout says:

Thanks for the reply, but I don’t understand how this can be. Remote electronic monitors should allow nearly continuous real-time measurements in most parts of the US connected to the internet. Is the official climate data system so archaic that the Weather Underground has it beat?

• David A says:

The records are homogenised – mix and match – disparate weight given to some stations, and the heavy stations can affect other stations up to 300 miles away I believe it is. This month such and such station will be adjusted down by two 1/100the of a degree in their 1963 reading. How or why? Don’t ask, they say it is more accurate. It is truly FUBAR.