New Yorker : Planet Is Doomed And Climate Action Is Useless

What if We Stopped Pretending the Climate Apocalypse Can Be Stopped? | The New Yorker

This comes eleven years after Barack Obama healed the planet, and brought the first health care to America.

It is also twenty years after global warming destroyed the planet.

U.N. Predicts Disaster if Global Warming Not Checked

23 Responses to New Yorker : Planet Is Doomed And Climate Action Is Useless

1. rah says:

Climate Alarmism: A parade of one nut case after another making false claims of impending doom and proposing outlandish impractical “solutions” for a condition that does not exist. All “solutions” involve taking wealth and/or liberty from the general populace.

2. Gator says:

That little boy can cry wolf all he wants, the adults are no longer listening. Just the little ones under a blanket with a flashlight, telling spooky stories.

3. Norilsk says:

The sky is falling!

4. Jimmy Haigh says:

Why don’t all of the believers bugger off to Antarctica and live about 200m above sea level to wait out the coming apocalypse and leave the rest of us in peace?

5. James says:

Someone forgot to tell the Pope.

6. richard says:

and yet, worldwide , it has been a record year for harvesting grains even on reduced production.

7. Toto's Fan says:

It is actually a manifestation of Manchhausen Syndome By Proxy.
    Abuse the children to get political attention or funding attention.

8. Robertv says:

Norway’s electric car miracle is a smug national fraud built on subsidizing rich people with Teslas

9. Ari Saltiel says:

“What if we stopped pretending” ???

How can you ask for more and more money if it’s not solvable?
    If it’s hopeless nobody will go along with the scam.

10. arn says:

It”s the end of the world as we know it and i feel fine.

Now,as this catastrophy can not be avoided and gonna kill us all
    we can close down climate research as it makes no sense.

BUT,in case Mr Franzen turns out to be wrong,
    and the climate catastrophy does happen(except in the news
    where the catastrophic warm summer of 2021 turns out to be colder than the average mild summer of
    of 1965 )
    what should be the punishment for Mr Frenzen??

30 years prison for him and confiscation of all properties would be a good start.

11. Anon says:

Best now to buy an estate on Martha’s Vineyard and enjoy the water!

12. Logic n reason says:

A ridiculous article with no scientific data to back it up apart from the tired mantra of apocalyptic predictions based on computer models programmed by climate scientists desperate for another government grant. The key words are ‘evil republicans’ . In other words another writer suffering from TDS. No doubt this sufferer will be kneeling at the shrine of St Greta and praying to the climate gods for forgiveness.

13. John of Cloverdale, WA, Australia says:

“New research, described last month in Scientific American, demonstrates that climate scientists, far from exaggerating the threat of climate change, have underestimated its pace and severity. To project the rise in the global mean temperature, scientists rely on complicated atmospheric modelling. They take a host of variables and run them through supercomputers to generate, say, ten thousand different simulations for the coming century, in order to make a “best” prediction of the rise in temperature. When a scientist predicts a rise of two degrees Celsius, she’s merely naming a number about which she’s very confident: the rise will be at least two degrees. The rise might, in fact, be far higher.”
    There’s that modelling again which has always been correct (sarc).
    Supercomputers indeed! I could probably use a HP65 handheld (which I used in the 70’s) and get the same rubbish result.

14. Noel Herron says:

As I write this it’s a fine day 17c the sun is shining . I have just finished storing the winter fodder for my stock. I hope it is a enough as the winter is shaping up to be a long cold one. I keep a weather diary ,and this last month has proven to be the coldest August for some five years . It reminds me of the lead into winter 201o when we had minus 18c and one snow drift measured was 18feet deep. The horses have started to put on their winter coats already , very early indeed. I have also noticed the blackthorn is starting to loose its leaves. Some the other trees are starting to look quite autumnal as well. Then Tony ! you show me the garbage the press in New York is pushing out. Its just so blatantly stupid, it’s such crap. The guy who wrote this drivel should be made to eat it when the blizzards set in. When I’m fighting against the blinding snow and blizzards ,rain and gales to feed my stock ,struggling to cope with early lambs and the only companion I have is my collie ,I’ll be thinking about this guy and what I would like to do to him. Thanks for exposing this drivel.

• Emslander says:

Farmers in the Midwest of the US are predicting lower yields because of the cool Spring this year and fear that the cooling in late August means too little heat for maturation of all grain the stalks are carrying.

15. rah says:

If their lips are moving they are lying. NBC News starts it’s new “climate unit”.
    NBC Announces New ‘Climate Unit’ and ‘Climate in Crisis’ Series

16. John F. Hultquist says:

As a non-scientist, I do my own kind of modelling. I run various future scenarios through my brain, apply the constraints of human psychology and political reality, . . . ” [writer of essays and stories – Jonathan Franzen, 2019, The New Yorker]

Translation: “I make s… up.”

17. czechlist says:

“Texans stop pumping oil and driving pickup trucks”?
    Buh bye NY!!
    I recall Texas bumper stickers in the ’70s:
    “Leave your lights on and freeze a yankee”.
    Time to bring it out of mothballs.
    This arrogant a$$ (athiest no doubt) will be thanking God for Texas oil and gas this winter.
    BTW:
    WWII was won because the allies had Texas’ oil. If the blacks get reparations, so should Texas.

18. Taphonomic says:

In 2010, P. J. O’Rourke wrote a one page evisceration of the whole climate change boondoggle. Since then the decreasing emissions in the USA and massively increasing emissions in China and India have proven him a better prognosticator of the future than any “climate scientist”. And politicians keep blaming the USA for CO2 when China is the major emitter.

O’Rourke on climate change:
    “There’s not a g**damn thing you can do about it. Maybe climate change is a threat, and maybe climate change has been tarted up by climatologists trolling for research grant cash. It doesn’t matter. There are 1.3 billion people in China, and they all want a Buick. Actually, if you go more than a mile or two outside China’s big cities, the wants are more basic. People want a hot plate and a piece of methane-emitting cow to cook on it. They want a carbon-belching moped, and some CO2-disgorging heat in their houses in the winter. And air-conditioning wouldn’t be considered an imposition, if you’ve ever been to China in the summer.

Now, I want you to dress yourself in sturdy clothing and arm yourself however you like—a stiff shot of gin would be my recommendation—and I want you to go tell 1.3 billion Chinese they can never have a Buick.

Then, assuming the Sierra Club helicopter has rescued you in time, I want you to go tell a billion people in India the same thing.”

19. Stuart Nachman says:

Actually we can be saved if we adopt the Democrats’ policy prescriptions which involve the destruction of modern civilization, a real vote getter.