According to CDC, death rates from COVID-19 are similar to flu in all age groups.
We have a flu pandemic every year, but we don’t normally react like this. We don’t normally shut down these essential aspects of our modern world.
- No school
- No universities
- No concerts
- No religious gatherings
- No theater
- No Olympics
- No scientific conferences
- No climate conferences
- No skiing
- No public gatherings
- No amateur sports
- No professional sports
- No international travel
- Little domestic travel
- Most National Parks closed on Memorial Day Weekend
- Blue states like California locked down indefinitely
- Forty million unemployed, with lots more on the horizon
- Travel industry decimated. Hertz bankrupt. Hotels and airlines to follow soon.
- Neighbors spying on neighbors
- People being arrested for trying to work
- Only large businesses like Walmart allowed to operate
- People afraid of friends, family and strangers who exhale
- Opinions contrary to the official government line, banned from Facebook and YouTube
- Government banning religious gatherings and demonstrations
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
There are lots of expert opinions coming out that lockdowns and loss of freedom serve no purpose, other than to hurt millions of people and destroy freedom. Yet we are faced with schools being closed in the fall, and yet another round of panic as the next flu season approaches.
“We know through painful experience that freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed.”
– Martin Luther King Jr.
I married a Soviet refugee. People lived there, many people even liked it there. But it wasn’t a lifestyle I would be happy with.