Another Great Octogenarian Moves On

On Friday evening the finest woman I ever met moved on to her next adventure. My mother was an incredible person, with 85 years of accomplishments as a musician, mother, wife and icon of the community. Few people, if any, did more to bring music and art to New Mexico.

Despite suffering one crippling illness after another for the past 25 years, she never complained once and is my greatest role model. She is always with me. I am in New Mexico this weekend celebrating her amazing life.

The Sangre de Cristo Mountains (where I used to work as a wilderness ranger) are named that because they turn red at sunset in the winter.

screen-shot-2016-12-04-at-7-34-27-am

screen-shot-2016-12-04-at-7-45-10-am

screen-shot-2016-12-04-at-8-07-29-amscreen-shot-2016-12-04-at-8-03-17-amscreen-shot-2016-12-04-at-7-27-05-amscreen-shot-2016-12-04-at-7-40-44-am screen-shot-2016-12-04-at-7-38-30-am

60 Responses to Another Great Octogenarian Moves On

1. Jimmy Haigh says:

I am raising my glass to your Mum.

2. RAH says:

I’m sorry for your loss Tony. It will not be long before both mine will also leave us. It is hard to watch the life slowly leaking out of them. But all we can do is be thankful for who they were and are and for all they have done for us.

3. Lost mine 9 years ago….actually NEVER
    She is always there for me….bet yours will be too!

4. Rick K says:

Tony, my deepest sympathies to you and yours.
    Many of us here are grateful to your Mom for through her, we have you.
    Thank you again for your tireless efforts to bring truth and clarity to the world.
    Your Mom is proud of you.

5. John F Hultquist says:

celebrating her amazing life.

Well done.

6. Timo Soren says:

First, you are in our thoughts.
    Second, I am sure she praised your work and encouraged you to keep at it.
    Third, If if you have not suffered such an intimate loss before, time heals and brings the best to the surface of your memory.

Find your balance as your life and other moves forward. We are thankful for her having brought you into this world!

7. Griff says:

Beautiful pictures…

I was lucky enough to see the Georgia OKeefe exhibition in London this summer: reminded me of her beautiful pictures of New Mexico.

Thanks for sharing your memories.

8. Pin root says:

I’m sorry for your loss. My mom passed nine years ago. She was at home with her family. Even though she’s gone, she’s always with me in my memories. I’m sure yours will always be with you in the same way.

9. Steve Keohane says:

Sorry to hear of your loss. It occurred to me at my father’s wake, we live on in the lives of those we have touched. You are surely a badge of honor to her. Blessings to you and yours.

10. Steve Case says:

A dusting of snow here this morning as I read your sad news. Yes, a celebration is in order for those who have preceded us and paved the way.

11. Loren says:

So sorry for your loss. Blessings on your celebration of her life.

12. Bytor says:

Truly sorry for your loss Tony. God bless!

Beautiful pictures!

13. gator69 says:

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Tony. We know you had a great mother, because she raised a great son.

Men are what their mothers made them.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

God bless.

14. Chris F says:

Very sorry to hear this Tony.
    You are in our thoughts.

15. Patrick healy says:

May the Lord have mercy on her soul.
    She certainly gave us a great gift in her offspring.

16. Oliver K. Manuel says:

Thank you, Tony, for celebrating your mother’s life. Her contributions to the world continue through the generous use of your talents to free society from the bondage of government deception.

17. Latitude says:

…and did an incredible job of raising her son

I know you won’t say that….but I can…it’s true

18. Robertv says:

You will have difficult moments like we had this year with the loss of both my parents in law (86 and 84) but with the help of real friends you will manage.

Thanks to cheap energy a large part of our population can live a longer and healthier life than ever before.
    Let us continue to fight those who want to take that away from humanity and for that we need people like you so that our children too can have a long, healthy and happy life.

19. AndyG55 says:

Great sympathies for your loss.

Mothers are highly important in our lives.

Mine is still with us. 90 next year.

Heading down for a quick visit this coming weekend.

Best Wishes, AG

20. gregole says:

My deepest condolences and sympathies to you and your family.

May your mother rest in eternal peace.

21. GeologyJim says:

Tony –

So sorry to hear of your loss. Your Mom must have been quite a remarkable lady and passionate about the arts. Sounds like a very positive dynamic balance with your Dad’s career in science and engineering. You live a life that embodies the best of both influences.

I sincerely hope that your good memories will counterbalance the sadness of her “moving on” to otherworldly adventures.

Thanks again for all you have done for the preservation of science and scientific integrity. Looking forward to hearing of your new adventures in influencing “climate” conversation and public policy

Now that we’ve moved to L’ville, hope to get together for a brew at one of many local purveyors of suds

22. Mike Upham says:

I’m so sorry to hear of your loss, Tony – although I’ve read your posts for years, I had no idea that you were the Tony Heller who grew up next door to my family on Barranca Mesa. Please share condolences with your family from the Uphams.

• tonyheller says:

Mike, We were just walking behind your house today on our way down the canyon, and remembering your dog from the 1960’s.

23. Bob Tisdale says:

Tony, my condolences to you and your family.

24. Matt says:

Sorry for your loss, Tony.
    My condolencies to you and your family. May the Lord continue to hold her soul, now on the other side. Warm regards from Chile,
    Matt

25. TeaPartyGeezer says:

Very sorry to hear of your loss. She sounds like a remarkable woman who will be remembered by many.

26. Gail Combs says:

Tony,
    I am very sorry to hear of your loss. The pain dulls but never goes away. I lost my Mom four decades ago and Dad a few years later. Both way too young. You were lucky to have her so long. Remember the good times and the laughter.

It is a very sad weekend. We lost Merry, my Haflinger yesterday. We had had her for over 20 years during which she made many, many children and women smile.

27. David Blake says:

I feel your loss as she passes. She was rightly proud of you, as we all are. And She and we will remain so.

28. Harry D says:

So sorry to read of her passing. Condolences to you and your family.

29. AndrewS says:

It sounds like she had a great run at life! My condolence to you and family.

30. WoodBurner says:

Dream Big Tony.

31. R2Dtoo says:

My condolences. She sounds a lot like my mom, who I lost 21 years ago. Having fond memories won’t be a problem because there aren’t any bad memories. Moms are very special.

32. Tim A says:

Hi Tony….lost my Dad on Tuesday….my sympathies

33. Karl W. Braun says:

My Heartfelt Condolences, Tony.

34. Craig Arbuckle says:

I am very sorry for you loss Tony.

35. Scarface says:

My condolences.

36. Greg says:

Sorry for your loss Tony. May you have peace as you celebrate the life of your wonderful Mom. God bless you and your family.

37. Colorado Wellington says:

I’m sorry, Tony, and I am thinking of you as I watch my parents fade into the sunset. Your remarkable mother brought a courageous son into this world. I feel privileged to know you.

God bless you and your family.

38. Streetcred says:

My condolences … your mother will soar with the eagles!

39. Sara Hall says:

So sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family.

40. sam says:

It’s been a sad year indeed, first Bill Gray and now Mrs. Heller. But we greatly appreciate you carrying on with this important work, that’s what they would have wanted.

41. I’m very sorry on hearing of for your loss, Tony. My Mother died six years ago and I know what you are going through. We can only remember who they were and what they did for us while they were with us.

42. AndyOz says:

I’m sorry to hear your mum passed, Tony.
    I wish you and your family peace in this time.

My mum passed away 8 weeks ago aged 89.
    I miss her voice. I called her every fortnight for the last 20 years to get & give all the news from a very big Australian family – almost 100 kids, grandkids, great gk’s plus outlaws. She asked me sing to her the night before she passed away.
    I owe her & my father everything.

All the Silent Generation mums are very special.
    Never complain, do anything for the family.

43. ducdorleans says:

my mother passed away in June, at 84 … she’s irreplaceable and unforgettable … I’m sure your mother is/was the same to you …

my sincere condolences …

44. u.k(us) says:

Sorry for your loss.

45. Theyouk says:

God bless you and your family Tony…and ‘thank you’ to your mother, without whom the world would not have the gift of your blog (and far greater reach/presence).

Wishing you and your family peace, and sending condolences. I’m sorry for your loss.

46. shempus says:

Condolences Dr. Heller. May she always remind you she’s near.

47. TA says:

Sorry to hear this, Tony. God Bless you and her. Tell her to save us a place in line because we won’t be far behind.

48. Very sorry to hear of your loss Tony. Condolences to you and your family.

49. CapitalistRoader says:

My condolences, Tony. My mom & dad are 89 & 92 respectively and I’m not looking forward to losing them.

50. Sparks says:

Sorry to here of your loss, kind regards…

51. Michael Spencer says:

A loving tribute to your mother Tony.

52. FourTimesAYear says:

My sincere condolences to you and your family – ?

53. David Walker says: