Driving While Coloradan

“football, beer and above all, gambling filled up the horizon of their minds. To keep them in control was not difficult.”

• George Orwell . 1984

I was planning on driving from Boulder to West Virginia in 24 hours yesterday, and would have made it until I was stopped by the police state. Driving across I-70 east of Columbus, Ohio – I saw a cop ahead at the top of the hill with his lights on, on the right side of the road. So I slowed down, moved into the left lane and passed him.

About a minute later, I see him zooming up behind me at about 120 MPH, so I switched into the right lane behind a car which was driving about 50 MPH on the interstate. The cop pulls up just behind me, slows down and follows me for about three minutes before putting his lights on and pulling me over. He told me that I was “following too closely” – which was complete BS. I was about four car lengths behind the slow moving car in front of me.

He then asked if I was carrying anything illegal and demanded to search the car. A clear case of “driving while Coloradan.”  I’ve seen this happen to other people – the cops think they can get a drug bust because you have Colorado plates. So I wasted the next hour by the side of the road as this slimeball went through my car.

To me, this was just another sign of the degenerate state of our government.  The deep state believes they can overturn elections via lying and witch hunts.  Scientists are paid to lie about climate. People are begging to have the Bill of Rights decimated. Democrat lawmakers like Senator Whitehouse want to criminalize scientific dissent. The fourth amendment is ignored by the police.

If it weren’t for President Trump in the White House, I would have no hope for this country. I went to kindergarten and first grade in Ohio, but I won’t return to John Kasich’s hell hole.  When I drive back – I will go through Kentucky.

40 Responses to Driving While Coloradan

1. arn says:

That’s how climate deniers should be treated anyway,especially the islamophob one:)
    The next level will be:Reeducation in FEMA camps (after being forced to leave you house and donate it to refugees.

Another thing:”Warren vs district of colombia” the supreme court ruled:Police have no duty to protect the people.
    i guess that”s why the deep state is so busy trying to take the guns.

And in 2000 “Court OKs barring high IQs for cops”.(abcnews.go)

With such a negative selection of people and laws turned upside down
    the road to hell get paved-but,well,at least we saved the climate.

• Robertv says:

You become a cop if you don’t serve for anything else like in the military. These jobs used to pay a lot less than a blue collar job for a reason.
      Today it is the other way around and they even don’t want intelligent people because they can’t be controlled. They just want you to OBEY not to think.
      But than Steve looks like a drug trafficker so who can blame this trooper.

• arn says:

Read “The deliberate dumbing down of America”
        by charlotte iserbyt.
        She worked for the government and wrote this book almost 40 years ago.
        That book will make people understand while the same people(US citizens) who had been admired or at least respected a few decades ago are now the laughing stock on planet earth.
        No coincidence but social egineering on purpose
        because stupid ideologies need stupid(and emotionalised) people to survive.
        That’s why islam has such an enourmous illeteracy rate.

2. MrGrimNasty says:

You get this sometimes in the UK with a certain type of copper, if you legally dare pass them, it somehow insults their manhood.

The result is you often see a line of traffic behind police cars going 15mph under the limit and 2 empty lanes!

• roger says:

I always pass them using GPS speedo and am amused as some of the intimidated line grow a pair and follow me.
      I have never been pulled as a result.
      They are *******!

3. feathers says:

It would have been much worst if you had Michigan plates – trust me.

• Richard Greene says:

As a young man I had
      way more than my share
      of speeding tickets.
      Things improved when I tried
      to talk myself out of tickets,
      making jokes, and conversation,
      but politely denying everything,
      instead of just being angry I was
      caught — that worked about
      one-third of the time.
      My wife was stunned when that strategy
      worked even better for her — she
      had never tried to talk herself
      out of a ticket before she met me
      at age 27.
      I also wrote handwritten letters to
      judges when pleading guilty —
      that would get the charge /points
      reduced almost 1/3 of the time
      — worked just as well for the wife.
      I also managed to evade P-O-L-I-C-E
      three times on back
      country roads I knew well
      from bicycle riding as a kid —
      very exciting, but not
      recommended if you
      have a weak heart.
      I sometimes have a nightmare
      about the one NY State trooper
      who followed me into the back roads
      (the other two cops gave up)
      but I lost him before he could get
      close enough to read my license plate.
      Finally, after college, when
      traffic ticket prices started
      ramping up, I came
      up with a better idea —
      if I see a cop in the rear view
      mirror, I pull off the road
      and let him pass me.
      Nothing good ever came
      from having a cop driving
      behind me, and I have pulled
      off the road EVERY TIME I’ve
      seen a cop in the rear view mirror,
      or even after pass one on a side street,
      since the late 1970s.
      When I moved to Michigan
      from New York in 1977, I was
      shocked by how few police
      cruisers were on the road,
      and how hard it was to get
      a ticket.
      Getting stopped out of your state
      is the worst situation — those
      of us in Michigan know driving
      10 mph over the speed limit in
      our state is typical — people give
      you the finger in Michigan
      if you drive at the speed limit,
      unless there’s snow on the road.
      … but don’t try that in Ohio
      when you drive there
      with Michigan plates!

4. --B-- says:

Ohio.
    This is how cops in Ohio have been since I started reading automotive topics in the 1980s. Ohio had speed trap towns so bad that the state had to squish them due the national embarrassment of them.

Also, why did you allow him to search your car or did they use the dog ceremony where the badged oracle divines the word of dog?

• Squidly says:

I would have forced the cop to get a warrant.

• Ernest Bush says:

Would that be before or after they had your face in the ground while wearing handcuffs?
        There was a time when California law enforcement pulled over Arizonians just because they had AZ plates and tinted windows and wrote a citation for the tint. Some who had money to challenge the legality of that got it stopped. Or perhaps it sunk in that a lot of tourist money stopped coming across the AZ border.

5. Bob Hoye says:

Decades ago, when Canada faddishly turned to metric, speed limits became “confusing”. In returning from a ski resort to Vancouver I was caught by radar. The Mountie said I was clocked at 119 k/hr in an 80 zone.
    I said, “Officer, you got me for speeding, but thank goodness I wasn’t going fast.”
    It broke him up, but he gave me the ticket anyway.

• Robertv says:

You’re lucky Canada drives at the right side so you only have to watch your speed if you go there. We want to go to Scotland this summer and over there they not only go in miles but also drive on the wrong side of the road.

Territories now in Canada have always been RHT, except British Columbia, which changed to RHT in stages from 1920 to 1923,[74][75] and New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island which changed in 1922, 1923, and 1924 respectively.[76] Newfoundland and Labrador changed to RHT in 1947 while still a dominion of the British Empire, two years before joining Canada.[77]

6. Grandpa Greer says:

Kentucky is God’s Country, sir. You will like it here.

I used to live in Nederland, Colorado, as well as Boulder and Northglenn and Broomfield. As an ex-old hippy, I loved Nederland. I would commute down to Louisville to the Storage Tech facility for a few years in the mid-70s. It’s gotten a bit crazy there now.

I also lived outside of Seattle for a few years at the edge of the Ranier National Forest (was there during St. Helens little dust-up). Lived in Highland, NY, Saugerties, NY, Omaha, NE, Reston, VA, and Riverside, CA. I was born in Taft, CA, in the San Joaquin Valley.

Anyway, all of that to tell you that Kentucky is my favorite place of all time. People are wonderful and the land is gorgeous. Bypass Louisville and Frankfort. Coming in on I-64 from West By-God Virginia, go through Lexington and jump onto the Bluegrass Parkway to Elizabethtown. Take the Western Kentucky Parkway west from there towards Paducah. You can find your way from there. This will keep you well away from those crazy Buckeyes in Ohio as well as the wackadoodle Hoosiers in Indiana.

Enjoy your articles very much. I work as an Environmental Director for a very large Japanese company that is big on environmental issues. It is all I can do grin and bear it until retirement.

I rationalize their requirements of me to measure our CO2 footprint, and to encourage my fellow employees to reduce theirs, by understanding that “eCO2” is really just a convenient tool through which we can determine and improve process efficiencies. If they want to say we are helping the fight against CAGW, then fine.

They let me work from home, a log cabin in the woods in the middle of Kentucky, and manage the EMS program for them. I share with them how I care for our land (I try to be a good Christian, so I am a good steward) which is 120 acres of forest and a spring fed lake in the middle of it.

I keep my sanity by reading your posts as well as Watts and Morano, but mainly you. Keep up the great work, my friend. If you need a place to take some good pictures, let me know.

7. Mark Austin says:

The cops I know say never to allow them to go through your car… he had no right to do that and could have planted evidence in your vehicle. There is a lot of info on this here is a short video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOet9iky_lw
    good luck next time…

• Squidly says:

Absolutely agree Mark !!! … I will never allow a cop to search my car without a warrant. I don’t care how long it takes them to get it. I will not capitulate to a totalitarian State.

8. Pathway says:

Utah HP is running the same scam. If you have a green plate there is a good chance you will be stopped and searched for dope. But when you drive by the pot shops most of the plates are from other states.

9. eternalOptimist says:

I was driving across the USA from NYC to the grand Canyon, via Buffalo and Chicago.
    We were listening to local radio and they were commenting about the new card readers the cops were carrying, so they could fine you on the spot, even if you had no cash.Hide the cash, hide the cards
    Well, I got pulled over.
    Sitting in this cops car while he took my details, looking at this bazooka he had in his holster. He asks me for the cash. ‘I don’t carry cash’
    He asks for my card ‘we don’t really use cards much in the UK yet’

He stares at the dashboard.

‘Do you take travellers Cheques ?’

He stares harder. bites the tip of his tongue. I think he wanted very badly to shoot me.

10. Scott Scarborough says:

I was thrown in jail once driving through Ohio. I was from Michigan at the time and they like to pull everyone over from Michigan. It was during the time they lowered all highway speeds to 55 mph. Never did pay them a dime.

11. Cam says:

Did they make you get out and give you a pat down (just to make sure you’re not a danger to them, you understand)? I don’t get how that’s even legal, but apparently SCOTUS ruled that it was.

12. R. Shearer says:

They have you over a barrel. If you refuse to allow them to search you get the trumped up ticket.

13. GW Smith says:

I agree with you entirely, Tony. Hang in there. Liberalism’s distortion of Reality has to stop somehow and you’re doing a hell of a job.

14. GW says:

You have the right to refuse permission. Make the statement: what probable cause do you have that either myself or this vehicle are involved in some crime beyond the traffic infraction for which you stopped me.
    Then deny permission, and say if you insist on searching my vehicle without my permission I absolutely will have my attorney file a formal complaint against you with both the state and county Attorneys General and the US Attorney for this region.

Of course, Coloradoans have been asking for this for years with their idiotic elections and ever progressive policies.

15. Psalmon says:

I would encourage you to drive back through Ohio, but first you should pack your car with small Ziploc bags of Oregano, Basil, Thyme….maybe several small bags of MSG. Throw in a couple of cook books and some professional pots and pans with spatulas, just to put the WHOLE story plausibly together. Install a dash cam, and maybe one recording the dashboard. Bring a long a witness who can film the whole thing and plan a couple extra days to “stay over” in Columbus while they confirm you are a just a cooking enthusiast from Colorado.

Seriously, with any luck, you’ll be able to retire early…courtesy of John Kasich, which would be absolutely divine.

16. DrSandman says:

Refusal to submit to a search is not grounds for a warrant, says my lawyer friend.

17. gofer says:

Stopped in Southeast Ky a few yrs back. Trooper asked me to follow him since I was from out of State. Went down a back country road, across a creek and into the yard of the local judge, the kinda house you would expect in the backwoods. Held court in living room, fined $60.00 and, upon departing, the Trooper said “see you a little later judge.” Yes, it really happened. Afraid of what would have gone down if I had said “not guilty.” Maybe it was the banjo music.

18. Colorado Wellington says:

“We Don’t Belong Here Anymore” – Even Landlords Are Fleeing The Bay Area

Tony Hicks moved to San Jose in 1981, but he’s had enough.

Hicks told his 11 tenants he would soon place the three homes he owns on the market. He expected disappointment. Instead, most wanted to move with him to Colorado.

“It didn’t take them long,” Hicks said. “I was surprised.”

I wish the Constitution allowed the States to deny entry or at least voting rights to these migrants until they pass a simple test showing they understand how they fucked up the previous place and promise they wouldn’t do it again.

It’s too late. We are doomed. And doomed.

• Robertv says:

And raise the voting age to at least 25 years

recent research has found that adult and teen brains work differently. Adults think with the prefrontal cortex, the brain’s rational part. This is the part of the brain that responds to situations with good judgment and an awareness of long-term consequences. Teens process information with the amygdala. This is the emotional part.

In teen’s brains, the connections between the emotional part of the brain and the decision-making center are still developing—and not necessarily at the same rate. That’s why when teens experience overwhelming emotional input, they can’t explain later what they were thinking. They weren’t thinking as much as they were feeling.

• annieoakley says:

We have plenty of Californians already. They are messing up CO bigly.

19. R.de Haan says:

Armed and Dangerous: If the Police don’t have to protect the public, what good are they?