2018 – An Important Year For The Climate

As 2018 winds down, some solemn introspection on climate skepticism is necessary. This was the year the Maldives drowned, Lower Manhattan drowned, and the Arctic became ice-free.

26 Sep 1988 – Threat to islands

Stormy weather – Global warming – Salon.com

The Argus-Press – Google News Archive Search

What is really sad, is that we only had until the year 2000 to prevent this from happening.

Mercury News: Search Results

17 Responses to 2018 – An Important Year For The Climate

1. Lasse says:

I sit in the bar in Maldivia ordering a Manhattan without ice -then!

• Disillusioned says:

Good song. It’s Bobby McFerrin. Not Bob Marley. We saw him in concert back in the ’90s. A Talented and unusual a cappella singer – he made all those sounds with his voice, his tongue and lips popping, and his hands and fingers tapping on his chest.

• Brokenhockeystick says:

Me too. Just watched the sun go down at the pool with a cocktail in hand. I can confirm that there is much construction going on at the airport in Male which makes you wonder why bother if it’s gone!

2. arn says:

2018 was really a hell of a year.
    So many apocalyptic things happened and even the of the mill hurricanes were so destructive that the tough weather guys on tv had almost been blown away but survived thanks to their high tech windbreaking clothes
    while ignorant climate deniers in the background walked around in shorts and did some small talk.

3. John of Cloverdale, WA, Australia says:

Newsflash!
    Newport Beach, Sydney. Sixty years of rising sea levels threaten surfing lifestyle.
    Environmental surfers say they will abandon petrochemical surfboards, legropes, wetsuits and cars. No more,
    “Rolling down
    that empty ocean road
    getting to the surf on time.” (Neil Young)

4. John F. Hultquist says:

The end of the Canberra Times article ends:
    “. . if drinking water supplies dry up . . . ”

Clearly that did not happen.
    The “rest of this story” might be interesting,
    or maybe not.

• Rah says:

Seems to I remember that the last time things got really wet in the Australian interior some scientist said that was the reason SLR was not reaching projections. Claimed that Australia was like a bowel holding all the water

• Jason Calley says:

I hate it when my bowel holds water…

Just kidding, Rah, typos always sneeek in. :)

• Rah says:

Most aren’t typos. Thus damn thing keeps changing what I type with it’s own interpretation of what I am trying to say. Even in this message it inserted the word “place” after “it’s”.

• Jason Calley says:

I sent an email this morning in which I mentioned the composer Albinoni. My spellcheck insisted I must mean either albinism or binomial! :)

• ABQGeo says:

….. but didn’t fix “it’s”…… should be its

5. frederik wisse says:

Why Vanuatu was not mentioned ? After ordering billions in aid the unexpected must have happened ! The islands must have been saved by a miracle . Too bad it happened before the big IPCC-cashing in has started .

6. gregole says:

“This was the year the Maldives drowned, Lower Manhattan drowned, and the Arctic became ice-free.”

If only we’d have listened. Instead we just pointed and laughed.

Actually, I’m still pointing and laughing! I mean, they were just kidding weren’t they?

7. Josh says:

Meanwhile the leftists think scientists are being too nice with low certainty on how climate change lower economic growth. Proof with record crop yields.

8. Ken Mitchell says:

Sig line of my email:

_____________________________________
    Sea Level Rise Since 1865: 0.0 cm.
    Look at the photos!