Stunning Day In The Desert

January 1, 2019 was an epic day for photography in the Sonoran Desert. Click the images for full-size.  They look much better at full resolution.

11 Responses to Stunning Day In The Desert

1. rah says:

Snow and a hard freeze right down to the valley floor from Tucson to points east and south. So even the kids of the great SW desert know what snow is. A far cry from years ago when I topped a ridgeline west bound on I-10 one summer and looking down into the valley could see six dust devils. The A/C in the truck wasn’t working. Spent my 10 hour break with my Uncle and Aunt in Phoenix and the next day drove on to the Schneider terminal in Fontana, CA to get it fixed before turning north on I-5 to go to Seattle, WA to deliver the trailer full of ladders I had picked up in Laredo, TX.

2. John of Cloverdale, Western Australia says:

Great photos, Tony.

3. Jack Miller says:

These photos are great Tony, thanks for putting them up.

4. feathers says:

Cute chicks. I’m glad the site is back up without errors this morning!

• spike55 says:

With that Scott Allen stuff happening, I was a bit suspicious about the cause.

Probably just a bit of overload or something, rather than a malicious attack.

5. Gerald Machnee says:

Yes, white hot – definitely global warming.

6. AZ1971 says:

It reached a whopping 47°F (8.5°C) at my house in north Phoenix yesterday. Areas just to the north got plenty of snow and it’s still snowing heavily in the southern part of Arizona today through tonight. I keep hoping the girlfriend’s family who has a firepit invites me over to partake in that time-honoured ritual of poking at logs in a crackling fire whilst quaffing cold beer and whiskey. So far, they haven’t gotten the memo.

• rah says:

My wife has insisted on having a couple fires lately here in Indiana. I’ve told her better to wait until the real cold comes in January, but she wouldn’t listen. She’s not the one who has to haul the wood in of course. So yesterday I stocked the rack beside the fireplace up and made sure I had enough wood of the right size and quality handy to do that two more times. I’ve about run through the wood of the appropriate size for our fireplace from that which was produced from the last time I had the trees trimmed and come next year it will be time to get out the splitter to start using up the big stuff.

7. gregole says:

Amazing shots Tony!
    Happy belated New Year!

8. Disillusioned says:

I really like the last five images.

Happy New Year!

9. Geoff Sherrington says:

Ho Tony,
    You have envious access to wildlife and scenery. However, your camera and/or graphics software might be a little out of tune. Here are 2 images, before and after, that were tweaked with less than 5 minutes of effort, to see what enhancement might be possible, without venturing into the obviously manipulated arena. Geoff