Today’s Bird Pictures

Phoenix has wild parrots, which are believed to have escaped from a commercial facility decades ago.

I went to a talk at an Audubon bird rescue facility today, and pressed them about wind farms killing thousands of eagles. They acknowledged it was true and provided some details, but said it was a tough trade off between “clean energy”and dead birds.

Here are some of the birds they rescued.

22 Responses to Today’s Bird Pictures

1. rah says:

Great stuff Tony.

We got about 7″ of global warming at my place here in central Indiana. They were going to send me to eastern PA very early early Monday morning. Now that has changed. I’m headed with a load bound to someplace in CT. Depart NLT than 07:00 today (Sunday). My pick up is somewhere in MA. This new load allows me to take I-90 across and stay north of the path of the winter storm and so I’m not complaining.

2. Disillusioned says:

Beautiful shots of beautiful birds.

Thanks for the accompanying story, sad as it is.

3. Annie says:

Wonderful pictures of those birds. Thanks for the link rah.

4. arn says:

Those parrots just moved to Phoenix as result of global warming :)

• Martin says:

They are very adaptable creatures – there has been a colony for several decades in South London (Croydon?) but they are now firmly established in Birmingham in the English Midlands – I see them ( or at least hear them) most days. We have a very different climate than the one they originate from but still they thrive. They might even make it up into Scandinavia – that would give John Cleese a shock !

• Rah says:

There have been wild parrots in S. Florida for decades also. I don’t know why they haven’t migrated to the north part of that state.

5. Gamecock says:

Confronting cognitive disonnance can be fun, but rarely changes anything.

• Rah says:

It’s cognitive diarrhea. As soon as they hear logic that counters their beliefs, they dump all further thought and change the subject.

6. Norilsk says:

Such beautiful pictures.

7. gregole says:

Magnificent animals!

8. Margaret Smith says:

“I then asked why hunters go to jail for killing eagles, and wind farm operators don’t – and they of course blamed President Trump for choosing jobs over the environment. So I responded with “are you saying President Trump is promoting wind farms?”  They quickly changed the subject.”

When these people come up against someone with a razor-sharp brain and great knowledge you can see why they always shy away from debate.

Love the pictures. London has wild, green parakeets which must have escaped from a collection and found London a pleasant place to live and are thriving.

• patrick healy says:

It is due to Urban Heat Island Effect, Margaret.
      It can be up to 5C warmer in inner Kannestan that out in rural Essex.

• Margaret Smith says:

It’s more than that. The SE of England is the warmist part of Great Britain. Who knows – they may, in time, get hardier and spread west and north.

• MGJ says:

In my part of London, we get quite a lot of ring-necked parakeets. I kind of like them but they are voracious sods and I recently found 7 of them pecking away at my bird feeder simultaneously!

• Gator says:

Is that how Patsy got his coconuts?

9. MrZ says:

So sharp I can even enjoy these without my glasses.
    Amazing!

10. griff says:

London has Ring-necked Parakeets these days, the origin of which is attributed to a number of reasons – Jimi Hendrix may have liberated a pair, they may have escaped from the set of ‘the African Queen’, they may have escaped a container at Heathrow airport or come from a closed safari park.

I’d like to think some of those are true!

11. GW says:

I Love Birds ! I have parrots, and have beautiful wild birds at my feeders. Plus Hawks and owls.
    I HATE Environmentalists !!! They are nothing but blatatantly Ignorant Fascists !

12. JCalvertN(UK) says:

The owl reminds me of Clint Eastwood, the falcon reminds me of Paul McCartney.
    I haven’t made up my mind about the eagle. (Could it be . . . ??? No, probably not orange enough!)