Cool Stuff From This Afternoon

This guy got too close to the freeway and took off in a hurry.

6 Responses to Cool Stuff From This Afternoon

1. Figaro says:

Middle pic looks like Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus). Perhaps taken at the farthest end of the zoom? Thanks for the pictures, Tony.

2. gator69 says:

I have come close to running over coyotes, on my mountain bike on one stretch of very twisty trail a few miles from my property. I ride early in the morning, and I can tell when I’m the first on the trail, as I catch all the newly spun spider webs.

• Colorado Wellington says:

Better if you catch the newly spun spider webs than them catching you. I reckon the key is to ride every day. Two weeks absence could turn the tables.

• RAH says:

Heck Colorado, I’ve broke trail through so many spider webs in the woods when I was in the Army………. Had a big ole black widow on my arm once and brushed her off before she bit me. Spiders are not the worst of it. But when a patrol runs into a bee hive or inadvertently disturbs a hornets nest when moving through the woods they get your undivided attention. Hollywood doesn’t ever show a bunch of bad ass green berets breaking noise discipline and hauling ass in every direction to keep from becoming a casualty to stings but it happens a lot more than one may think because patrols in real or notional enemy territory trying to get somewhere undetected intentionally try to go where people generally don’t and that’s where the little nastys tend to concentrate also.

• gator69 says:

Try running into a banana spider and web, Rah. The silk is as strong as some fishing lines, and that spider bites!

Tests have shown the silk that banana spiders spin to be stronger than Kevlar and has a greater tensile strength than steel.

A banana spider web was the only thing I ever saw that could take my father off of his John Deere. I have seen them as big as my hand, and I have seen birds caught in their webs. They are one of the reasons why I do not live in Florida.

• Colorado Wellington says:

That makes perfect sense. It happened to me and I wasn’t even on patrol. Rather, another teenager and I were trying to find a place in the woods where people generally don’t go so we could develop a better understanding of each other’s anatomy. We disturbed a hornets’ nest and had to reschedule the scientific examination we had planned to do. That evening, though, we improved our knowledge of first aid.