Smoke From Wildfires May Be Visible

The National Park Service has a new team member this summer in Yellowstone National Park, keeping an eye out for wildfires.

Mount Washburn – Southern View Webcam (U.S. National Park Service)

Meanwhile, my research assistants study the permanent drought in Boulder – where we have had rain or snow on 56 days so far this year, including 16 of the last 22 days.

13 Responses to Smoke From Wildfires May Be Visible

1. R Shearer says:

I’ve never experienced so much hail as this year. Fortunately, it’s been on the small side, though I’m not happy about the impact on my vegetables, especially squash (how appropriate that name is).

Yesterday was nice, got up into the 80’s and was sunny for most of the day at least. Once the snowpack starts melting in earnest we’re vulnerable to flooding, especially if a rainstorm stalls.

• Colorado Wellington says:

This is frightening. It’s not just the record snowpack and flooding caused by climate change.

Local global warming in Colorado also caused this cold, wet spring. Everything is green and there will be plenty of tall grasses going into summer and fall.

I suspect that local global warming will then bring summer heat. The tall grasses will dry out and provide fuel for climate change wildfires.

God save us if Tesla and Boulder electric utility municipalization don’t make it.

• annieoakley says:

Boulder will have so many windmill platforms and acres of solar farms it will be forced to build a tree museum. Fort Collins will have the birds, bees and tomato plants in a diorama. The only things that will live outside are mosquitoes because the bats will be extinct. Whomp, Whomp, whomp. It will be paradise.

2. rah says:

Here in central Indiana this morning I had to go outside with my research assistant in the rain. For some reason she wants company when it’s wet outside and has to do her business. Supposed to rain off and on all day today. Thankfully I got my acre mowed before it came in last evening.

Last year here the grass grew like it was spring time all summer because it was so moist. It’s beginning to look like that we may be in for a replay this year. At least two of the fields around me got dry enough for the farmers to get out into them Saturday and Sunday but the field to the SW bounded by a county ditch on it’s south boundry lays lower and they have doubts they will get a chance to plant in that field at all. Don’t expect a bumper crop of corn in the US this year but Indiana cantaloupe, already the best in the world, is exceptional this year. Big with thin rinds and as sweet as I have ever had.

3. rah says:

BTW I seem to be getting a steady stream of stories on my news feed about lost hikers. People lost for days! WTF are these people doing? Wondering off on a trail with no map, compass, or GPS?

• Disillusioned says:

Even weirder, in U.S. and Canadian forests, including our National Park system, thousands of people, from children walking right with their parents to trained backpackers with maps & compasses, to people that have hiked the same trails many times, have have vanished without a trace. Thousands. In 52 geographical clusters. https://www.missing-411.com/about/

• Colorado Wellington says:

Wondering off on a trail?

Hell, some years back a group of young men—I think CU students—went up the trail on Mount Sanitas above Boulder and stayed there through the summer sunset watching the city below lighting up. After dusk they called 911 on their cell phones to have rescuers come up and show them the way down.

It has not been reported if the back country adventurers wore fluorescent yoga pants or proper wilderness survival gear on their expedition.

Here is how the wilderness looks over there:

• R Shearer says:

I did stupid stuff up on Flagstaff in my younger days. I never wore yoga pants though, not that’s anything wrong with that.

4. rah says:

Kansas City, Kansas City here I come. Got the call at 00:05 this Monday morning to take a load to KC. She said” Honey, I have a load sitting here that needs to go to KC.” Obviously if the load has been “sitting” there then there is no big hurry. So I’m “sitting” here at the computer having a cup of coffee and waking up before I jump in the shower and pack up to go. About 8 1/2 hours total travel time. Can’t dally too much or I’ll hit the morning rush in St. Louis.