1926 Miami Hurricane : 140-150 MPH Winds

Miami was destroyed by a hurricane in 1926, which had 140-150 MPH winds and a ten foot storm surge.

1926_hurricane_WBO3.jpg (1552×2078)

1926_hurricane_WBO1.jpg (1872×2398)

10 Responses to 1926 Miami Hurricane : 140-150 MPH Winds

1. Gail Combs says:

Sundance talks of his experience in Homestead in the aftermath of Hurricane Andrew in 1992 with photos. link he is part of the civilian response team.

I am not seeing photos similar to those after Irma.

• Gail Combs says:

Here is Sundance’s Irma’s Aftermath – A Ground Report… from last night.

[…]Overall: No power. No internet. No AC and hotter than well diggers butt in Utah; and the generator would do in pinch but there’s no fuel. Did I tell you there’s not a drop of fuel within 200 miles. I emptied half of the generator fuel into my truck… and had to take down hurricane shutters to see inside.

There’s an enforced curfew due to looters or troublemakers etc. (so police say)

I’ve only got about 2 gals of chainsaw fuel mix left, and there’s a bunch of people with trees on their houses. Immediate neighbor lost his garage door and tree damaged his car – too serious to drive. Together we were able to fabricate a temp rig for the door; and there’s no gas so he let me siphon his wrecked car. Lucky day, lucky day.

The problem with fuel is a MAJOR problem. We need generators and tools to help these people out. Many people are not back yet to see the damage to their houses. I would guess 50% still haven’t returned. Overall the structural damage is less than prior storms (Hurricane Charley roofs etc), but the overall debris is much worse. It’s Weird…

if radio talk is any indicator, these pontificating doofuses are stuck in their Vichy boxes not looking past the coastal metropolitan areas.

The center of Florida is rural, farming, working class, and also lots of poor people. The coasts are more well-off. I think all the attention is going to the coasts. The center of the state is of Florida is FUBAR. Truth. Really bad. Those fine God-loving people didn’t have much and now they have less.[…]

Sundance had a lot of fuel stored but gave it away to get people out of harms way. (earlier report)

The debris is worse because the trees grow like crazy in the south (Thanks CO2 and H20) and there has not been a big hurricane to trim them back for a while.

That is the ONLY CO2 causes hurricane damage that is for real. 😁

There is a lot more in his report. I sure hope they get that fuel to south Florida soon.

• gator69 says:

My mother lives between Ocala and Gainesville, and never lost power. No damage either.

• Gail Combs says:

Gator,
          I get the feeling that much of the damage maybe from tornadoes and not the hurricane it’s self. That would explain the spottiness of the damage.

Her is another report from a cop in northern Florida with a bit of humor tossed in. link
          ……..

Seems to me the biggest problem is lack of gasoline and that is because the Progressives and NIMBYs kept the infrastructure out of the state and now it has to come in by tanker.

Our fuel prices are going to sky rocket.

• Gator says:

I have to agree with the tornado assessment, it would explain how there was significant wind damage in places where the hurricane/tropical storm winds were not excessive.

Mom has a propane powered whole house generator, but never needed it. As far as I know everything is back to normal in her area.

FYI – My mother’s father survived the 1926 hurricane while visiting Miami, and spoke of it often until he died 30 years ago.

2. mat says:

I was just watching Scott Adams (of Dilbert comic strip fame) talk about a twitter war he just had with some comedian over what the guy posted about how a hurricane proves climate change.

But one of the things Scott mentions is how all Atlantic hurricanes form in one place. Which is the west coat of Africa, where the arid desert meets the green jungle. Which made me think, could the hurricane drought of the last decade or so, be the result of increased CO2? It being plant food, thus making Africa (and everywhere else) greener, and more stable temperature wise….

• Stewart Pid says:

Lack of hurricanes reaching the US was down to wind shear and PDO / AMO.

• Rob says:

I’m starting to wonder if many of the climate change followers (not the leaders as they know) are confused and think it is a case that people who aren’t in the cult are trying to imply the climate is a constant as in same temp, conditions, etc every single year. If people are thinking hurricanes and other natural events are a result of climate change when they have been happening for ages, long before the 20th century, then that to me says they may be confused.

If by some chance they aren’t confused and do indeed think hurricanes are proof of climate change caused by humans driving their cars then they are complete idiots unless they can show me evidence of humans driving their cars in all those documented hurricanes before cars existed.

3. Psalmon says:

Just to be clear…If Irma was Climate Change…Hurricane Jose is Weather.