Yet Another Climate Refugee

Thirty years ago this month I moved from Sedona to Houston.  Monster hurricane Gilbert was forming and headed towards Houston – after destroying my favorite town in Mexico. A few weeks earlier NASA’s James Hansen had predicted Lower Manhattan would be underwater by 2018.  The summer of 1988 was very hot, very dry, Yellowstone nearly burned up, the Mississippi River nearly dried up, and Gilbert was the most powerful hurricane on record. Obviously Hansen was correct – at least until Katharine Hayhoe erased the heat of 1988.

On my way out of Arizona, my trusty German Shepherd and I stopped at a convenience store and collected my $60 for picking four numbers in the lottery.  That night we slept under stars in West Texas which were so bright you could read a book by them. It was very cold that night, and there was frost by morning.

Gilbert missed Houston, and thirty years later I’m headed back to soon to be RINO-free Arizona – to work for a few months. It has already turned cold in Boulder, and I’m looking forward to the Arizona sun. High temperature yesterday in Boulder was 65 degrees, coldest September 5th since 1929.

Chalk me up as one more climate refugee fleeing to Arizona to escape the cold weather.

19 Responses to Yet Another Climate Refugee

1. Former95B says:

What part of Arizona?

I’m in Queen Creek, just SE of Metro Phoenix.

2. Stewart Pid says:

Happy travels Tony and good luck with the new job.
    Many thanks for all you do here and all I have learned from your site.
    And thanks for the opportunity to diss the Grifftroll ;-)

3. Disillusioned says:

Enjoy your new venture, Tony.

4. RAH says:

Glad you found work. Hope your wet lands are still there when you get back to Boulder.

5. gregole says:

Welcome back to Arizona Tony!

Fall is on the way, and while there’s not quite a chill in the air (yet) it is freaking nice right now. I took my usual walk at lunch and was simply marveling at how gorgeous it was. This year was an active monsoon season and all summer we have had these amazing, enormous, towering white clouds – so bright they almost hurt your eyes.

6. M Bannister says:

I know most of Hansen’s predictions haven’t come true but, in fairness, I think you should make clear that he said Lower Manhattan would be under water in 40 years (not 30) IF CO2 doubled which it hasn’t. Unfortunately such inaccuracies ( and I’m sure you know they are) tend to detract from the rest of the site which, on the whole, is very informative.

• tonyheller says:

You are parroting propaganda.

• M.Bannister says:

No – I’m quoting the journalist Hansen spoke to.

• tonyheller says:

The original article said nothing about that. You are quoting the attempt to rewrite history.

• Mollington Bannister says:

It’s possible if Bob Reiss is lying – but a journalist wouldn’t do that would he ?

• Gator says:

This is part of the problem.

Climate alarmists naturally have no issue with journalists juicing up their stories on man made global warming, in fact, they prefer this. Hansen’s quiet acceptance of Reiss’s propaganda makes him an accomplice, at the very least.

Of course, Schneider et al don’t need journalists to hype their stories as they are more than willing to do the lying themselves…

“We need to get some broad based support,
            to capture the public’s imagination…
            So we have to offer up scary scenarios,
            make simplified, dramatic statements
            and make little mention of any doubts…
            Each of us has to decide what the right balance
            is between being effective and being honest
            .”

– Prof. Stephen Schneider,
            Stanford Professor of Climatology, lead author of many IPCC reports

Hansen never denied the original piece of propaganda, alarmists have told us they will lie and misrepresent the science, and the predictions were wrong. So why would we give Hansen or any of those other known (and some admitted) liars any benefit of any doubt? Would you buy a used car from these people?

• Phil. says:

The original quote came from the book ‘The Coming Storm’ and said exactly that, 40 years and doubled CO2.

• Gator says:

The quote came from the interview, per the author of the article. That leftists lie constantly is no surprise. The question is, who lied and why was that lie allowed to go unchallenged by every climate alarmist? Or is that just a silly question?

7. Andy says:

Hope you do well in Arizona Tony and please send photo’s of the wilderness and wildlife, those are always a good reminder of our place on this planet as we quibble on here.

As an aside do you have any photos of your old dog? I’m a dog person and your sleeping under the stars with the dog on a Texas night does sound fantastic.

Andy