Fourth Coldest November On Record In The US

November US afternoon temperatures were fourth coldest on record, and the percentage of days over 50 degrees was third lowest on record. November afternoon temperatures have been declining in the US since the 19th century.

11 Responses to Fourth Coldest November On Record In The US

1. Norilsk says:

The advantages of doing nothing!

2. Scott says:

I had the TV on yesterday but I was in the kitchen. I overheard the weather guy say that Kansas City had the second snowiest/iciest November since either 1880 or 1980. I think he said 1880, but I am not certain. It’s been much colder than usual, that much is certain.

• AndyDC says:

1880 was the record cold November over much of the country. That was followed by the snowiest December on record in DC with the temperature at the Naval Observatory dropping to -16 (F)!

Also, if you carefully look at the map presented with this post, you will note that no state in the lower 48 was entirely above normal.

• Eric Johnson says:

Most of FL is above normal, probably from residual heat from the surrounding water. The panhandle has always had a climate more similar to southern GA than FL.

3. Steven Fraser says:

OT, but in keeping with the cold month, here’s the DMI Sea Ice Volume stats for the month of November.

In report for October 31, DMI Sea Ice Volume was 10,687 cu km, which was 94.53% of the 16-year average, 1,182 cu below the average, and ranked #13 for the day.

In the report for Nov 30, DMI Sea Ice Volume was 15,231 cu km, which was 99.16% of the 16-year average, 129 cu km below the average, and ranked #8 for the day.

2018 set the November record for DMI Sea Ice growth, with an increase of 4,544 cu km during the Month, 130.16% of the average growth for the 16-years of Novembers, which was 3,490 cu km. The closest competitor, 2015, had growth of 3,973 cu km, 113.82% of the average growth.

Sea Ice Volume has continued to grow, and is now 99.34% of the 16-year average.

• Steven Fraser says:

And, for those that like such calculations, energy released during freezing to make 1 GT of Ice is 3.3355E+17 Joules, or 3.3355E+5 TeraJoules. The Sea Ice Volume growth in November released 1.5154E+21 Joules, 1.5154E+9 TJ.

4. Alan says:

Hi Tony – can you please contact me at the email included in this comment email field, Thanks, Alan

5. gregole says:

Dog-gone it! I have to fly to Chicago from my home in Phoenix, Arizona tomorrow and it looks like it’s in the ’30s there!

Shouldn’t that added M@nn-Made CO2 have warmed it up by now? Didn’t Hansen predict runaway warming back in the late ’80s or something like that?

Gosh, it’s 2018 and still no warming. I was hoping I could wear shorts and a tank top to Chicago; instead I had to go buy a heavy coat. It’s cold. Even will all that extra CO2. It’s even a bit chilly here in Phoenix come to think of it.

6. Bob Weber says: