It Is Not The Heat, It’s The …..

July 10, 1936 was the hottest day on record in New York City.  Temperatures reached 106 degrees at the Central Park Observatory.

White privilege went on as normal, the Yankees crushed the Indians.

Black privilege did too. Jesse Owens qualified for the Olympics.

Horse shows and races went on in the 106 degree heat.

TimesMachine: Saturday July 11, 1936 – NYTimes.com

But now people shut down in 93 degree weather.

Saturday, Friday racing canceled at Ellis Park due to heat

Henderson, KY Forecast | Weather Underground

I rode my bike up the hill to NCAR in the middle of the afternoon today. I never use A/C and exercise in the heat every day.  So heat doesn’t bother me. Nobody had air conditioning in 1936, and nobody was addicted to it.

9 Responses to It Is Not The Heat, It’s The …..

1. spren says:

Although I grew up in western Pennsylvania in the 50s and 60s, I spent large parts of all of my summers in my parents’ hometown located in Manchester, CT. We had a farm where we would camp for at least several weeks every summer and we would usually return for a couple weeks in December for Christmas. My recollections of that period were that winters were colder and snowier in CT, and summers were hotter in CT. We regularly experienced many days close to or surmounting 100 degrees in CT. None of us had AC back in those days and we adapted accordingly.

Now, I live in CT and those same areas rarely are as extreme (winter or summer) as what I experienced as a kid. Today, 7/20, we are expected to again experience 100 degrees or very close to it. But now, it is portrayed as Armageddon because it’s been several years since we experienced those high of temperatures.

Thank you Tony for providing an accurate historical perspective to these types of extremes. They really are very normal for this time of year in CT.

2. John of Cloverdale, WA, Australia says:

Just love that comment within the baseball article.
    “Except for the heat, it was a glorious New York afternoon.

3. Grilled Tomatoes says:

Mr. H – not to give you ever more work to do but have you ever looked at “heat index” or “real feel” temperatures and how that is calculated? My ever more feeble mind seems to recall that both “heat index” and “wind chill” now add or subtract a ridiculous amount of emotional temperature. The idea that 87 F “feels like” 103 is laughable but local weather now displays the “real feel” temps almost as actual data to give everyone climate willies. Thanks for all that you do.

• Gator says:

Odd that the heat index never takes wind chill into consideration.

• Colorado Wellington says:

The “real feel” effect is real.

People are more spiritually advanced and feeling today than they used to be. We can feel effects our brutish ancestors did not feel. It enables the most advanced and sensitive of us to feel our way through subjects that used to require critical thinking.

4. Squidly says:

Heat, even over 100F has never stopped me from enjoying a good round golf .. sometimes more than one round. Just drink lots of water .. that is the key.

5. arn says:

They are telling people what should offend them and what not,
    and what is hot and what not and that too cold winters are not cold because the media did not talk about it.

6. Gator says:

It’s not the heat, it’s the…

Publicity?

Acridity?

Cupidity?

Flaccidity?

Turgidity?

Avidity?

Vapidity?

Proclivity?

Maybe. But it’s definitely the stupidity.