How About Focusing On Actual Pollutants?

I have a ten mile commute to work on my bicycle, about three miles of which is along Highway 36 between Denver and Boulder. If the wind is blowing the wrong direction, the pollution from the cars is physically sickening.

CO2 is a harmless and essential trace gas. It has no odor or side effects. There are lots of very real pollution problems the EPA needs to be focused on. The pointless and inane focus on CO2 keeps civilization from making progress.

31 Responses to How About Focusing On Actual Pollutants?

1. Steve Case says:

The pointless and inane focus on CO2 keeps civilization from making progress.

It keeps climate “Scientists” employed.

2. Rud Istvan says:

Judith is calling attention to an inane paper in Science by the usual suspects including Schellnhuber of PIK. More warmunist fantasizing.

3. Nicholas Schroeder says:

Name those illness inducing vehicle produced pollutants and what might be done about them.

• tonyheller says:

Electric cars. Natural gas. Mass transit. Cycling. Telecommuting.

• Gail Combs says:

Mass transit WITH BIKE RACKS!!!

I commuted by bike and commuter rail in the Boston area but I kept having to replace the bike because it got stolen or if they could not steal it they turned it into a pretzel. That was thirty years ago. I hate to think what they would do now.

Also mass transit especially after dark is dangerous for a woman especially now.

• Squidly says:

Nitromethane Baby!!!

• R. Shearer says:

Have you been to Brazil? They use a lot of ethanol fuel without catalytic converters and the acetaldehyde and acetic acid in the air is toxic.

4. gregole says:

The CO2 fetish has always puzzled me. The minute fraction of CO2 in the atmosphere is entirely harmless. Without sensitive and sophisticated measuring instruments like temperature sensor-bearing satellites and modern well situated temperature measuring stations, we wouldn’t have the slightest sense of the changes in average temperatures claimed by the warmunists. And what part of said minute warming / cooling versus residual change in CO2 is purely attributable to CO2 delta is entirely unknown.

What keeps me coming back to this site and other climate sites, is the wonderment I experience at witnessing that people actually buy into this silly, superficial, and entirely destructive scam.

And what about real pollution? Indeed. What happened to that discussion?

As far as electric cars; well, I prefer electric motorcycles. But that’s just me.

• R. Shearer says:

Good commentary. I’m thinking of getting an electric assist bicycle to help me get up the hills. I think I’m too aggressive to ride an electric motorcycle.

• gator69 says:

Sorry, but we need more CO2, not less. So I will take my gas powered 4X4 every time, and you can thank me later.

• Gail Combs says:

I want to see CO2 at 1500 ppm.

Electric cars are great in a niche market like local commuting. Long distance or for hauling I want my diesel truck (With the extra 100 gal tank…)

• AndyG55 says:

My V8 Commodore (ex police car) sits just above 2k revs at legal speeds on Australian roads. Just sort of lopes along in high efficiency mode.

Way to eat up those kilometres. :-)

• Gail Combs says:

The two trucks we usually drive have turbo diesels with over drive and get as high as 22 mph which is very good for a pickup. I have a four banger gas pickup (five spd manual) that gets about the same.

• Squidly says:

Gail, you nail it .. 1500 ppm or so of CO2 would be absolutely fantastic! … anywhere 1500-2000 would be perfect for this planet. I wish people would realize just how valuable that would really be.

• Squidly says:

I agree with YOU Gator .. screw the electric stuff .. nothing like the vibration and roar of a few hundred hydrocarbon produced ponies. And if you really want to wick it up, a little nitromethane.

5. Mohatdebos says:

Interesting that Accuweather had a report yesterday on a new study out of China that claimed that pollution and global warming had reduced the number of extreme weather events in China over the last fifty years. Love how global warming causes extreme weather events when we have one, and reduces extreme weather events when we don’t. Anyone know if there are any weather-related events not caused by global warming?

6. wizzum says:

And my family calls me anti-science for pointing this out to them.

• wizzum says:

I have a couple of benign spots on my lungs from (I believe) hi sulphur diesel fumes from asian supply boat fumes but CO2 is going to destroy the world.

• Gail Combs says:

CO2 IS going to destroy the world…. LACK of CO2 that is. We came darn close during the last glaciation.

Carbon starvation in glacial trees recovered from the La Brea tar pits, southern California

Impact of lower atmospheric carbon dioxide on tropical mountain ecosystems

Royal Society: Carbon dioxide starvation, the development of C4 ecosystems, and mammalian evolution.

Plants will suck the CO2 down to 200 ppm in a green house.

Toss some of those papers at the people who call you anti-science.

• AndyG55 says:

“Plants will suck the CO2 down to 200 ppm in a green house.”

But no further.

That is when they stop growing.

And according to Antarctic CO2 , the world has dropped below that on several occasions in the last several 100,000 years.

Humans and the world’s biosphere are lucky that the Earth is still functional.. it came so close.

Human CO2 has most probably saved the planet from death via biosphere extinction.

• Gail Combs says:

AndyG,
            That is why I would like to see the CO2 back up around 1500ppm as we head into the next cold phase. The cold oceans are going to suck the CO2 right back out of the air!

• AndyG55 says:

Unfortunately I don’t think it is possible.

I do see a time, once people wake up to the dangers of low atmospheric CO2 levels, when we are intentionally producing CO2 from limestone, using nuclear or even better, coal energy, just to keep the world alive.

• Gail Combs says:

I get that AndyG,

Doesn’t mean I wouldn’t like to see 1500. Heck I would be happy with 600 ppm to 700 ppm heading into the cold phase.

We certainly need to get nuclear up and running because that is the key to so many options like turning coal into gas/diesel ==> plastics medicine. Using it to power desalinization plants, power irrigation, green houses, mineral recliamation from the sea…

Cheap plentiful energy opens up so many options when coupled with human ingenuity yet A$$eS like Obummer’s Science Czar said:

“Giving society cheap, abundant energy would be the equivalent of giving an idiot child a machine gun…. A massive campaign must be launched to de-develop the United States.” —Dr. Paul Ehrlich, Anne Ehrlich, and Dr. John Holdren, Ecoscience: Population, Resources, Environment, 1970, p. 323

And this idiot was the science guru in the US?

They truly do want to reduce us back to third world serfs living at the same level of civilization as the 1700s

• Squidly says:

Agreed Gail !!!

Liquid Thorium reactors are the way to go. Very very clean, very very safe, and very cheap to build, fuel and operate.

7. Psalmon says:

Animas River…Seattle Version:

Except on Mar 20 the Seattle Times came out with a scathing editorial claiming the Trump Budget would “wreak havoc” on the Puget Sound.

It’s simple all these governments are spending on High Speed Trains, Windmills, and CO2 reduction while the fundamental infrastructure falls apart…a society worshiping a false religion.

• Gail Combs says:

Last I heard there are actually wooden water pipes in Boston!

One of the things Trump has harped on is the crumbling US infrastructure. He brought it up again when talking to the Truckers.

I have come to the conclusion that either the Left is totally insane or they hate the USA so much they are willing to commit suicide in an effort to destroy it.
      …..

Slightly different note.
      There were Trump rallies this weekend and the Trump supporters are smartening up and planing how to deal with the Anti-fasc. Go in groups. Video tape when you see the masked idiots in black. Let them start the violence then subdue and turn them over to the cops. (Some say elbows are considered a ‘reflex’ and not a punch in a court of law. Saves broken fingers too.)