Bastille Day Used To Be An Incredibly Hot Day In The US

July 14th used to be a very hot day in the US, but July 14th temperatures have plummeted over the past century.

On July 14, 1954, one hundred degree temperatures stretched coast to coast. Missouri was 118 degrees and Illinois was 117 degrees. It was the hottest day on record in those states.

July 14, 1936 was the hottest day on record in Indiana, at 116 degrees.

Temperatures around Chicago were over 110 degrees.

July 14, 1934 was also a very hot day.

The July 14, 1954 heatwave brought 121 degree weather to Kansas and 115 degree weather to St. Louis.

15 Jul 1954, Page 1 – The News-Palladium

14 Jul 1954, Page 1 – The Baytown Sun

The July 14, 1936 heat wave killed 1,600 people with temperatures over 110 degrees in Michigan.

14 Jul 1936, 1 – The Times Recorder

Temperatures that hot are incomprehensible now. Climate alarmists get hysterical and demand immediate world communism when Arizona gets in that range.

Last year was supposed to be the hottest year ever, and  Bastille Day temperatures were 10-20 degrees cooler than 1954 or 1936.

The reason people believe it is getting hotter is because NOAA tampers with data, and climate scientists are more than happy to play along with this massive multi-billion dollar fraud. But we are storming the gates of this corrupt climate regime.

33 Responses to Bastille Day Used To Be An Incredibly Hot Day In The US

1. TimA says:

“But we are storming the gates of this corrupt climate regime.”
    G K Chesterton:
    “The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected.”
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”

• gator69 says:

That’s why I am a Libertarian. Let me make my own mistakes, on my own.

• Ron Hotchkiss says:

Progressives aren’t making mistakes. It is intensional among the progressive elite. Conservatives are wise enough to see this and are exposing them

• Conservatives? Wise? When they took over Germany in 1933 many people thought this a better thing than being taken over by communists. George Orwell summed it up: “English writers who consider Communism and Fascism to be THE SAME THING invariably hold that both are monstrous evils which must be fought to the death: on the other hand, any Englishman who believes Communism and Fascism to be opposites will feel that he ought to side with one or the other.”

• RAH says:

Actually for most soldiers it’s because he loves what is beside him. Mom, wife, and kids are never far from the mind but in combat the family that has a soldiers back and are his support system which keeps him fighting are right there with him.

• RAH says:

And Ironically the hunger and hardships resulting from the Little Ice Age were a big factor in bringing on the French Revolution.

2. Steven Fraser says:

Quite cool today in Boston! Must be Anthropogenic …SOMETHING!

• RAH says:

The real global warming in the US is a south of you along the I-95 corridor today. Hot with good probability of severe weather centered over Washington DC.

• tonyheller says:

I’m off to DC tomorrow. Looking forward to cycling and hiking all day Sunday in the lovely summer weather.

• RAH says:

Thankfully it will have passed by then. The NWS for severe weather for us for yesterday turned out to be a bust. And I was thankful for that also because my yard is starting to dry out. I have brown grass in a couple of low spots but it’s not due to the heat, it’s due to the grass being drowned.

• Steven Fraser says:

I hope you are enjoying the day. Bastile day high temp in Boston was 12F cooler than average high.

3. Try to see it their way. Once convinced that the industrial civilization that made it possible to support 7 people per square kilometer is Satan and that altruism requires its destruction, the line between Good and Evil is drawn. The added premise, that people need to be coerced at gunpoint for their own good, makes world communism (or Christian National Socialism) the obvious sweet solution. The only effective way I’ve found outside that box is to first ask “what is government”, followed by “what is the function of that monopoly on the forcible restraint of men”. If they start holy-rolling and babbling in tongues, then they are too far gone for missionary work anyway and you might as well move on to the next brainwashee.

4. Andy DC says:

Children and young adults in most parts of the US have no conception of what a real mid-July heatwave heatwave is like. The last one was in 1980.

On July 14, 1936, the average of the 100+ stations in Iowa was over 108 degrees. If you had even one station hit 108 in Iowa today, the alarmists would be defecating volumes in their pants.

5. RAH says:

BTW Tony,
    Thanks so much for what you do. I spread the word far and wide. In fact I do it so often some of my family have hinted that I’m a bit of a pest at times.

6. Mark Fife says:

I have gone through the unadjusted land station data from Berkeley Earth (data source http://berkeleyearth.org/data/). Having noted how fragmented and therefore unreliable the totality of their data is I decided to get rid of the chaff. In 1951, 576 new stations came on line. Of those, 211 maintained reporting for 50 or more years. That was my criteria for inclusion. If a station started reporting in 1980 and stopped in 1999, I threw it out. Sorry, there is no way you can data manip a fragmented data set into giving a consistent estimate with so much variability. That is statistical heresy!

From these 211 stations I constructed an estimate of the annual average temperature from 1951 forward. It isn’t accurate absolutely only in that the true global average was most certainly different. However, it is consistent. It shows temperatures generally cooling over a 50 some odd year span by about .25° C. There is also a curious spike in 1983 of really warm weather. Unusual spike both warm and cold occur through out the records and of course I have no idea why. It so happens four stations reporting, all in areas with typically sub zero annual averages spiked by as much as 14°C. Again, who knows why.

I am attaching my graph. I hope that works out.

Again, my data source is public. If anyone wants to double check me, go right ahead.

• Mark Fife says:

Just for giggles, this is a break down of the where the station data I used came from in terms of annual average temperature. This points to the consistency of my method in terms of analysis of the data. The number of stations in each temperature range never changes except for individual station variability. Over all, the ratios remain consistent through out the 50 plus year span of the data.

You can not say this for the entire Berkeley record set. When looked at in this fashion the record set changes dramatically through time. The number of stations per temperature zone changes progressively through time. The net effect is to increase the number of stations reporting in warmer climates.

Look, I don’t know if that is intentional or just stupidity. Either way, it is completely unscientific. There are basics which must be controlled in any experiment. Controlling the consistency of measurement is about as basic as it gets.

• neal s says:

Thanks. Just another way of pointing out how much of a fraud is being perpetrated by everyone who claims we have had global warming since we have started driving cars and burning coal and oil and gas.

• tonyheller says:

Very interesting Mark. This is an area I have been wanting to tackle.

• Jay Caplan says:

Mark,
      Are you able to add the data from these 211 stations from 2004 to 2016?
      Thanks
      JLC

• Joe says:

Interesting… Where’s the El Nino spike of 1998?

• AndyG55 says:

The 1998 was not global, It did have a large effect in a substantial part of the NH, which fed through to the so-called global average.

For instance, the El Nino spike doesn’t show up much in Australia or Japan temperature data, and is totally absent from Antarctic satellite data.

Just had a look at UAH NoPol data.. no sign of it there, either.

• AndyG55 says:

Wrong Graph, here’s the one covering the 1998 period.

7. John Ford says:

How do you see those temps on Google Earth? Do you have a kml file?

8. Mike Smith says:

There was a major El Nino in 1983 which may account for the temperature spike.