Keeping Your Lawn Green

These two ponds are located a half mile apart. This pond is healthy.

This pond is downstream from thousands of people who put chemical fertilizers on their lawn. Algal blooms appeared last year and killed all the fish.

14 Responses to Keeping Your Lawn Green

1. Tom Bakert says:

That is most likely watermeal, not algae. Nonetheless, you are correct about the cause and effect. The fish are killed by a process called eutrophication.

• AndyG55 says:

And here I was thinking it was the green colour washing out of their synthetic lawns. ;-)

Last thing I am putting on my lawn/grass, is fertiliser.

It grows fast enough as it is.. and its winter down here!!!

2. sunsettommy says:

People commonly apply way too much Nitrogen on their lawns,which is why they show up in ponds,and streams. Why they they get thatch so much,why they get rust in the fall.

Cut the rate at least 50% of the recommended rate,mow the grass without grass catcher at least part of the time and water just 2-3 times a week (assuming you have a properly placed sprinkler system) which I do, even when it is 100 F days during the week.

Over watering lawns speeds up the removal of Nitrogen from the grass root system area into the B soil profile,which is just a waste of your money and polluted the groundwater.

• JTW says:

they put up too much nitrogen on their lawns, have it turn brown because of burns, think it’s dead because of lack of fertilisation, put more fertiliser on it, ad nauseum…

Only times you really need to fertilise is when you’re sowing a new lawn, or repairing a patch taken over by weeds or moss.

Similar with watering, in most areas natural rainwater is plenty for your lawn on all but the longest dry periods (and during those it’s usually bad to water during the day, only do so at night to prevent harming the plants, and for a limited duration).

3. just a thought says:

Ever since I learned of this, I’ve been paranoid about the algal blooms. Some of them are deadly.

Here’s why.

Problem is, there’s no way to be sure until it’s too late.

Just thought you might like to know.

4. RAH says:

I don’t water my lawn. If the lawn turns brown, so be it. I fertilize once every other year, though I don’t think that matters much since I’m surrounded by square miles of farm fields so the run off from my acre is but a drop in an ocean.

5. Bernal says:

I just mow the grass-like weeds and the only fertilization is done by dogs. Not that I don’t pick up after them but a certain nutrient residue remains. One of my dogs, Buster, is an adept fisherman and hates anything that would kill the fish except him or me. Since it is such a delight to see him grin when he eats them he gets more than me.

6. mat says:

My land/lawns are simply mowed (or bush hogged if I put things off too long). All I care is that it’s green, as apposed to red mud…

7. richard says:

Cuba does not use pesticides. The upshot of this is the coral around the Island is in pristine condition.

8. Griff says:

So – isn’t this, on the larger scale, the sort of thing the EPA’s ‘waters of the United States’ legislation is intended to prevent?

and now that’s being canned for political reasons…

• AndyG55 says:

WRONG as always.

The legislation was never intended to prevent anything. It was a far-left grab for control, and caused more problems than it ever solved. Typical of far-left agendas.

• sunsettommy says:

Griff,

too many people have been told by too many so called lawn experts to put a lot of N on the grass. I am one of the few who knew better from my college days,that N doesn’t stay in the root zone for long,therefore excess of N goes deeper into the soil until reaches a table level to accumulate in,then goes into moving bodies of water.

I used to work for the city’s park division,where they told me to apply N at TWO HUNDRED POUNDS to the acre! They keep wondering why they have massive piles of mowed grass,which is dark green but fades fast as the excess N quickly leaches out of Soil profile A. The damage to the microorganisms in the soil from the N excess greatly reduces soil health and promote thatch.

For several years,we had to use a big dump truck and lawn sweeper to sweep up the massive cut grass to make it decent again.A big waste of money they caused due to the managements ignorance and stupidity.

It took me a few years with help from an employee who happens to be owner of a small Sod farm, to convince them to apply around 50 pounds to the acre instead…..

Later when I was promoted to be Irrigation Technician,where did almost everything the job requires.I discovered how poor their irrigation systems were designed,that forced people like me to over water the parks just to keep it green. They had too many heads on a valve,too low a flow rate to support it and too often have the sprinkler heads too far apart.

It took me over 15 years to correct the main designing mistakes,to then be able to cut water consumption by 25-50%.

I learned that too many times,”experts” are the ones who screw it up. They tell the average American to over fertilize and water their lawns. While clods like me designed and installed a sprinkler system that allows me to fertilize less than average,since I don’t flush the soil with excess water flow the grass,trees and flowers can’t use. Have no thatch problem or disease whatsoever.

This is why YOU need to learn to think on your own!

• JTW says:

They probably followed the instructions from a large supplier to the letter, a supplier who of course thrives on selling massive amounts of fertiliser and now sells 3/4 less…

9. Brad says:

We can stop this by putting invasive asian carp in the ponds to eat all the extra algae. How does that story go? There was a woman who swallowed a fly…..