15th Hole Strategy

This is the 15th hole at the Los Alamos Golf Course. It is 160 yards downhill. I have been playing this hole for 50 years and still haven’t figured it out.  They normally put the pin near the front of the green, to keep people from hitting cars. The front of the green is less than 20 feet wide, and it is only 30 feet from trap to trap.

Yesterday I thought I hit a perfect shot into a strong wind, and ended up in the trap on the right side. I missed the pin by only ten feet, but left myself with a very difficult second shot out of the trap on to a narrow green, which drops off sharply on the other side.

Unless you are pro, it probably makes sense to play it short and have an easy second shot on to a flat, smooth green, but I still haven’t figured that out yet after 50 years. The good news is that I now get a senior discount.

30 Responses to 15th Hole Strategy

1. Robertv says:

The Holy grail of holes.

Of course only as long as whites are welcome in South Africa.

2. Squidly says:

If it were me, I would play it 15 yards long to the center of the green.

Always better to have putter in hand, even a long putt.

3. Squidly says:

Hey Tony, next time you are in the Nashville area, give me a shout and we can go play a round !!!

4. Lance says:

Seniors rate….congrats on a B.D. i’m guessing! Welcome to the crowd!

5. Steven Fraser says:

What was the lie in the sand like? Did it plunk and sit in a hole, or bounce up and sit on top of the sand?

6. Colorado Wellington says:

A senior discount is nice but your strategy is all wrong.

If you joined the party of truth and justice you’d get extra mulligans and really improve your handicap.

And work on your technique if you want respict.

7. Stephen D Reiss says:

Empathy from a kindred golfing spirit of 60 years. I was a 95 shooter until I truly understood gravity golf – Nicklaus, Couples and Els. There are books that describe it like Golf My Way. It really works. It got me down to a single digit cripple index on a 142 slope course.

Still, I would go back to shooting 95 if I had accomplished in life a small fraction of what you have done with this blog.

8. Phillip Hudson says:

Play every hole for par and practice the hell out of your chip shots! When I stopped imagining I could hit the green from anywhere with any club I became a lot happier and a better golfer. If you can hit a wedge in a 10 ft circle from 10, 20 and 30 yds you’ll make a lot of pars and once in a while get handed an easy birdie! Remember! Up and down is your friend!

9. JCalvertN(UK) says:

Is that green intended to look like “The Scream” by Edvard Munch? Or is it just my imagination?

10. jst1 says:

Maybe it’s just a poorly designed golf hole. I tend to agree with the others above, play to the middle and putt back. After all, can’t be more than a 7 iron.

11. Former95B says:

#8 iron ; aim down the left side and hit a fade right in front of the green; nice easy chip shot from there.

Think that’s a bitch, try #4 over at Arrowhead,

12. PJB says:

Despite my 6 handicap, I putt like crap most of the time but a recent hole-in-one (205 yds with a 4-wood) showed me that putting is highly overrated lol. For the 15th, you might try “punching” an 8 and letting it land just in front. The punch reduces spin so that the shot should role straight towards the hole through the opening. Downhill shots tend to “bounce” straighter as well so that might help. Good luck!

13. Jeff Jones says:

Yep here’s your problem It’s possessed.