July 8th, 1905 – California’s Hottest Day

On July 8th, 1905 California averaged an incredible 104 degrees. More than half of the state was above 105 degrees, and more than a third of the state was 110 degrees or above. Orland, in Northern California was 120 degrees.  CO2 was 300 PPM at the time.

10 Responses to July 8th, 1905 – California’s Hottest Day

1. Eric Simpson says:

Sammy Roth @Sammy_Roth 10:19 AM – 14 Aug 2018
    Senate candidate Mitt Romney says “climate realities” have made massive, destructive fires a “recurring menace.” https://twitter.com/Sammy_Roth/status/1029417229853503488

2. Jeff Jones says:

What is incredible about 104F in Kalif in August? Weather channel forecasts 104F a couple days next week. In my 69 years I have seen many, many ++110F days in the state. Kalif is officially a desert by any criteria. saving grace is snow pack in the Sierras every winter which provides the water to make the state the grocery basket of the world. That is until Moonbeam and Newsome completely cut off all the water to Central Valley farmers. I hold to my prediction that within a decade, the only industry left in this once miraculous state will be welfare.

• tonyheller says:

It may have been the only day in California history where the average temperature across all the USHCN stations was over 100 degrees. It was 120 degrees in Northern California. But thanks anyway for your ridiculous comment.

• Gator says:

Tony, did you change the title of this post? Was it “July 8th, 1905 – Kalif’s Hottest Day”? Or is Jeff another troll?

3. garyh845 says:

Los Angeles Times has been shrilling about the heat here for well over a month now, but has offered no mention of late 1800’s record heat waves.

With a huge Urban Heat Island Effect in the works these years, Los Angeles managed to set a new record for July 6-8, with temps of 108, 104 and 98 respectively. But compared to much earlier record heat waves . .

From the record books, these are still standing:

July 24, 1891 – 103
    July 25, 1891 – 109 – all time record high for the month of July.
    July 26, 1891 – 102

Aug 17, 1885 – 104
    Aug 18, 1885 – 102
    Aug 19, 1885 – 106 – all time record high for the month of Aug.

All with no UHI effect.

4. Deltaeus says:

Hi Steve,
    I regularly check pro- and anti-AGW websites to see what each is saying.
    I recently saw Tamino’s article arguing claiming your charts were cherry-picking, to which you promptly responded.
    I then engaged in a discussion with Tamino’s blog regarding the monotonic increase of temperature adjustments for US land measurements, and whether anyone could explain it. Back and forth, eventually Tamino suggested that I consider Time of Observation Bias. I note you have already addressed this on your blog.

To my mind, you have made a very strong point about adjustments. 100% of warming is due to adjustments – everyone agrees on that I think. The warmists think they have good reasons for making the adjustments. The skeptics think they do not.

This situation lays bear (to my mind) a stunning fact: that warming is based on hypotheses and not data. The hypotheses relate to what adjustments should be made. So when climate doomers say “look at the facts” it is really a circular argument: I believe X, so I need to adjust the data in this way, and that adjusted data shows X, so X must be true. Astonishing!

Steve, you may say that you have been making that point for a long time and you are right. Its been several years and I’ve only just satisfied myself that this circular argument idea is true by engaging with both you and Tamino.

So thanks for your efforts on this blog and especially in responding in detail to objections raised against your analysis, so that people can determine the truth for themselves.